Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > overcarbonation?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default overcarbonation?

So ive been drinking on the first batch ive ever brewed which has raised a few questions from it.....

So i had brewed a stout (5 gal batch) and added 5 oz dextrose and bottled. After the first week of sitting in the bottles carbing (at 72-74F in closet), i tried one and it wasnt nearly carbonated enough. I tried another one after week 2 and the carbonation was dead on. Another week or two after that their carbonation has gone crazy and its insanely carbonated. My question is can I stop the bottles from carbing once ive reached my preferred level of carbonation?

Also, the carbonation in them seemed kind of was more like the carbonation of a soda or something...maybe that was due to the overcarbing? Im not sure....but it just didnt seem like the carbonation in beer...seemed more like the carbonation of a soda.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can uncap each bottle to let some of the co2 escape and then recap them and pray they build up enough co2 to re-carbonate.

You could also try this which I will preface this by saying I have no actual experience trying to pasteurize beer, only cider but I see no reason why this would not work.

If you go this route then you will need to consume the beer within a few months I think, it won't age well.

Also the reason you are most likely having this problem is that fermentation was not finished when you bottled, you then added priming and the yeast are still eating away. Could also be that you added to much priming sugar, or that you have an infection.