Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Selling homebrew!
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
ThaBrewFather06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default Selling homebrew!

I am new to the home brew scene and my best friend and I think we are on to an awesome recipe that would be worth selling in NC. Does anyone know what the stipulations for selling at a farmers market would be? We are only interested in selling small quantities at this time so we figured the farmers market would be perfect. People sell there home grown meats and eggs with no restriction why should our home brew be any different?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 338

To sell any beer you must be licensed as a beer manufacturer by both the state and federal government and brew in a commercial space you own or lease on approved equipment. This process will take months and years and cost tens of thousands of dollars. Selling homebrew is illegal, and no state allows sale of alcohol at farmers markets.

There are no exceptions.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Meat and eggs are not a restricted item. That's why you don't see tobacco at farmers markets. without a license, some items/drugs cannot be sold and (almost) anything with alcohol is one of them. Medicine (eg NyQuil) can be sold without a beer/liquor license, but then you have to be licensed to sell OTC medication I believe.

*edit* ah I got beat.

Now, you may be able to sell the recipe to a brewery, but I doubt anyone would want to buy it.
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
To sell any beer you must be licensed as a beer manufacturer by both the state and federal government and brew in a commercial space you own or lease on approved equipment. This process will take months and years and cost tens of thousands of dollars. Selling homebrew is illegal, and no state allows sale of alcohol at farmers markets.

There are no exceptions.
Well that settles that then. Thanks for shooting down my dreams!!!! Lol seriously thanks for the answer.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

It's illegal to sell homebrew....no if and or buts. This HOBBY isn't one like knitting, or canning fruit or painting rocks, where you can sell your wares at the local craft fair. You ever hear about a little "experiment" called prohibition? Because of that Alcohol production is one of the most regulated thingsin North America and for moral issues, probably the entire planet. So much so that even the hobby of homebrewing beer, was still illegal in 1976 over 40 years AFTER all the other aspect of prohibition was over turned. And the biggest thing in the phrasing of the law that made it legal (except for the states where it is still illegal) is a little phrase "personal consumation" and it little mention about how selling or trading it or whatever you may think you can get away with, is ILLEGAL....

If you're interested in becoming a commercial brewery, and therefore no longer a homebrewer, then the first place to start is here...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06 View Post
I am new to the home brew scene and my best friend and I think we are on to an awesome recipe that would be worth selling in NC. Does anyone know what the stipulations for selling at a farmers market would be? We are only interested in selling small quantities at this time so we figured the farmers market would be perfect. People sell there home grown meats and eggs with no restriction why should our home brew be any different?
Sorry that would make to much sense for it to be legal. You have to remember that even small breweries have spent tens of thousands of dollars for the "right" to sell their beer. The last thing they want is a law that lets homebrewers cut into their meager profits by selling at farmer's markets. They have to protect their business.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
brew_elevator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Keep dreaming & brewing. You never know what could happen. A guy that lives 2 blocks from me started home brewing in 2008 & now he is the largest micro brewery in the state of Alabama. I would suggest going to your local brewery & volunteer on brew days. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

They sell beer and wine at the farmers markets around here.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky_pine
They sell beer and wine at the farmers markets around here.
Here too.

And by "they" I mean actual licensed breweries.

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06 View Post
Exactly. I say you get a booth. Go big! Yes, there are those who will say it's illegal. But as you say, people sell meat and eggs all the time and there is some similarity between meat and beer (both can be red, brown, or tan in color). Eggs come from chickens. Chickens eat malt. Yeast eat malt. Beef can be corn fed. Beer can be made from corn. Kobe beef cattle are fed brewers grains and beer.

You may be on to something. I was at a farmers market where they were selling spices. I use spices in my wit bier. Why not sell the spices in a liquid form?

Closed Thread