Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Syracuse Area Brewers?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
agemmell
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Syracuse Area Brewers?

Hey! I am relatively new to brewing, but is there any Syracuse area brewers? If so what kind of brewing do you do, and what has been your favorite recipe you have done?

For me it is a Chocolate Ginger Porter. Brewed with Pale 2 Row, Chocolate, Black Patent, and Caramel 20L Malt. It is also has Lactose, Cocoa Nibs, Vanilla Bean, and Ginger Root in the Boil and the Secondary Fermenter.

And I do All Grain Brewing, I have never done extract or partial mash, or BIAB for that matter, but have thought about experimenting with it!

Cheers!!

He was a wise man who invented beer - Plato

Primary - Hoppiness The Great Imperial Pumpkin
Secondary - Imperial Stout
Bottled - Bavarian Hefeweizen, Chocolate Porter
In The Works - FnIPA, Chocolate Ginger Porter, WeizPA

Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
lgaston99
Recipes 

A buddy and I started brewing about 8 months ago. We have done an extract porter (came with the kit we bought), Maple Pumpkin Ale, Mocha Stout, Honey Ale, Have a cider in primary at the moment and are looking for our next beer at the moment.

We have been going partial mash for all but the Porter, but have talked about going all-grain. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Of the ones we have made so far I would have to say the maple pumpkin is the favorite.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
brian4508
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Actually, there is a large group of us here on HBT. we do bulk grain buys and we have a Facebook page that we keep in contact with each other. If you are interested, PM me

Brew on!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am from the Syracuse area, and have started brewing a few months ago. I completed my first batch, an IPA(came with kit). It was ok. I considered this to be the "Betty Crocker" version of beer making. I just made a Red Ale that is currently in the primary, and I have a batch of hard cider in secondary. The cider should be ready for sweetening and bottling soon. Just figured I would introduce myself to the fellow Syracuse folks, and possibly learn and stay in contact with local homebrew folk.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
lgaston99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummybrewman
I just made a Red Ale that is currently in the primary, and I have a batch of hard cider in secondary. The cider should be ready for sweetening and bottling soon.
Sounds like we have similar thoughts. Just brewed a Sequestering Red on 3/1 as well as moved the cider to its secondary.
Bottled: Porter, Maple Pumpkin Ale, Mocha Porter, WH Honey Ale
Gallons Brewed: 30

Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ha, I guess so. How long do you plan to keep your cider in secondary? I learned also that you can back sweeten cider which makes me much happier as my cider was dry. I am letting it sit longer so the tannins and alcohol will mellow.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
lgaston99
Recipes 

Started the batch on the 25th of Jan and racked to secondary on 3/1. Planning on bottoming in 2 weeks as I have a red that will be ready to bottle then too. If it still seem to harsh ill cap it and wait another few weeks prior to bottling.
Bottled: Porter, Maple Pumpkin Ale, Mocha Porter, WH Honey Ale
Gallons Brewed: 30

Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Andrew862
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in Fayetteville. I brewed a Black IPA a few weeks ago and a Dogfish Head 60min clone last Friday. Patiently waiting for the Black IPA to bottle carbonate.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
agemmell
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The worst part forms is the bottle conditioning! Also I am interested to hear how your 60 minute clone goes. I am in the process of building myself a conical fermenter to try my hand at an IIPA.

He was a wise man who invented beer - Plato

Primary - Hoppiness The Great Imperial Pumpkin
Secondary - Imperial Stout
Bottled - Bavarian Hefeweizen, Chocolate Porter
In The Works - FnIPA, Chocolate Ginger Porter, WeizPA

Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
BargainMugs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just a heads up, there's a beer tasting at the Galeville Bryne Dairy in Liverpool today from 4-7. They usually have them every other friday. Tonight they have Captain Lawrence and Ballast Point.