How much is too much? - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much is too much?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #41
tackett
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 120
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvineer View Post
Ok, just to play devils advocate here because I too love beer.

But, would you "love" beer if it were Non alcoholic? Would you still drink x beers a night for the taste alone? I "love" beer, but will not drink NA.

I would probably love beer even more if it were NA. One of my driving reasons for getting into this home brew business was so I could make some very low abv beers that still suited my tastes more than what's commercially available. I drink beer not because I get drunk, but because I like it. In fact, I would argue that the alcohol is more of an annoyance to me than a attraction. I'd drink beer constantly if it didn't have any alcohol in it and tastes good.
__________________
Bottled - The Fugly Blonde
Gone - accidental Belgian IPA
Hanks Hefeweissen
White Horse Belgian White
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
canadianeh
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 7


I have to disagree with most of the people in this thread. I have had a love hate relationship with alcohol in general my whole life. Nothing good has come from drinking to excess (does it ever?) but I love the taste of beer and red wine. I always have and I don't think that will ever go away. Now where I disagree with people who say they love the taste of beer but don't like the alcohol.. come on. Who are we kidding here? Beer gets a good part of it's flavor or taste from the Alcohol. Otherwise everyone would be drinking N/A Beer and let's face it, N/A Beer tastes like absolute crap.

You also can't discount the effects you feel from the Alcohol. Even if you only have one beer, you now have alcohol in your system and it's going to alter the way you think and feel.

I have to say this. Since I started homebrewing I have a greater respect for alcohol and the beer/wine making process. It has taught me to moderate and not abuse it. Plus the fact that I always have beer and wine around doesn't make it seem like such a need anymore.

I think they should make all Alcoholics go to homebrew school.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #43
Brewnoob1
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 980
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
I have to disagree with most of the people in this thread. I have had a love hate relationship with alcohol in general my whole life. Nothing good has come from drinking to excess (does it ever?) but I love the taste of beer and red wine. I always have and I don't think that will ever go away. Now where I disagree with people who say they love the taste of beer but don't like the alcohol.. come on. Who are we kidding here? Beer gets a good part of it's flavor or taste from the Alcohol. Otherwise everyone would be drinking N/A Beer and let's face it, N/A Beer tastes like absolute crap.

You also can't discount the effects you feel from the Alcohol. Even if you only have one beer, you now have alcohol in your system and it's going to alter the way you think and feel.

I have to say this. Since I started homebrewing I have a greater respect for alcohol and the beer/wine making process. It has taught me to moderate and not abuse it. Plus the fact that I always have beer and wine around doesn't make it seem like such a need anymore.

I think they should make all Alcoholics go to homebrew school.
I'll agree in that we are only having this discussion because of the alcohol in the beer and whether people would find that socially acceptable on the amount we each are consuming in an average week.
__________________
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
salvar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 13
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I agree with the poster who said to do a self-evaluation every so often.

Since I also like to stay in shape and lift weights, I cut out my drinking every time I enter a cut phase of my diet (usually every 3 or 4 months). This helps me get a reality check on whether I'm "addicted" to beer. To be honest I miss pizza more than beer on my diets so I figure this is a good sign.
__________________
Primary: Imperial Stout, Apfelwine
Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Belgian Dark Strong
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, SNPA Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #45
Xpertskir
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,224
Liked 454 Times on 292 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
I good friend of mine has been drinking 1500 ml (2 bottles) of white wine every night for the past 10 years. He can count on one hand the number of times he did not drink in the past decade.

He just turned 50, physically active, eats well and takes vitamins and supplements. Every night he drinks his wine till 2 am or so and then gets up at 6am. Been doing this for years.

The doctors tell him that he is in great shape. As for his liver... I dunno
Thats almost 5.5 million ML of wine...way more than most people drink to figure out that red is better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #46
tackett
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 120
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by salvar View Post
I agree with the poster who said to do a self-evaluation every so often.

Since I also like to stay in shape and lift weights, I cut out my drinking every time I enter a cut phase of my diet (usually every 3 or 4 months). This helps me get a reality check on whether I'm "addicted" to beer. To be honest I miss pizza more than beer on my diets so I figure this is a good sign.
Amen to that. When I used to do a bulk/cut cycle. I dreaded the winter cut simply because I couldn't eat pizza. Beer was the least of my concern.
__________________
Bottled - The Fugly Blonde
Gone - accidental Belgian IPA
Hanks Hefeweissen
White Horse Belgian White
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #47
trbig
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
, Oklahoma
Posts: 327
Liked 88 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Nothing good has come from drinking to excess
Good gosh... I'll have to respectfully disagree. You've never been around me and my buddies obviously. LOTS of GREAT stories.. lol.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #48
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Cary, NC - North Carolina
Posts: 998
Liked 181 Times on 128 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Thats almost 5.5 million ML of wine...way more than most people drink to figure out that red is better.
He tells me red wine gives him a headache. I believe the brand that he drinks is called Oakleaf and he gets it from wally-world.

It typically runs about $3 per bottle but once a year it goes on sale for $2.50.

When it goes on sale he stocks up. He will get about two and a half full pallets which lasts him and his wife until the next year when it goes back on sale.
__________________
Primary:
Bottled:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #49
Vanderhoof
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 1


In my line of work (psychiatric NP), the diagnostic criteria for Alcohol dependence include increased tolerance, withdrawal and loss of control. If you don't have withdrawal symptoms when you don't drink (strong craving, sweating, racing pulse, headache, nausea, vomiting, shakes and other more severe symptoms like seizures) and you are able to set limits on your drinking (you can plan on drinking 1 or 2 and stick to it). Many of my patients can't stop drinking until it's all gone. Men can typically tolerate 2 drinks a day without having any adverse, physiological effects.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #50
tackett
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 120
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
He tells me red wine gives him a headache. I believe the brand that he drinks is called Oakleaf and he gets it from wally-world.

It typically runs about $3 per bottle but once a year it goes on sale for $2.50.

When it goes on sale he stocks up. He will get about two and a half full pallets which lasts him and his wife until the next year when it goes back on sale.


My god that **** is nasty. I buy it every now and then to make marinara with. I made the mistake of taking a drink of it once and had to spit it out.
__________________
Bottled - The Fugly Blonde
Gone - accidental Belgian IPA
Hanks Hefeweissen
White Horse Belgian White
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump