Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much is too much?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
Beergazzi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I enjoy one cold per evening about 5 days a week, perhaps 2 on occasion.

1-2 drinks per day is supported by science to be healthy (2 22oz bombers is not 2 drinks ) .

OK...some weekend nights I have 3...I'm trying to drink my way to a nice collection of Grolsch Swingtops, its hard work, but someone has to do it.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Brewnoob1
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As many have mentioned, I get up at 4:00am every morning 5 days a week and work 10 hour days. I drink roughly 4 beers a night probably 4-5 days a week. Obviously if one of those nights is a Friday/Saturday, that average can go up significantly. I exercise and eat healthy. Do I NEED a beer? I don't think so...but I definitely crave and look forward to my home brew. Now with that said, I crave MY HOMEBREW. Not just any brew you can buy at the store. Does that make me an alcoholic? If I'm a functioning member of society, not putting others at risk, a good father and a good husband to my wife and daughter, then I say nope. You only live once...I'm enjoying every minute!

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Your doing fine! I wake up and redbull it up in the morning and after work I drink. Almost every day.
The energy drinks are guarenteed killing me faster than the beer.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just to add something as a 'food for thought'..I can guarantee Im far more dependent on coffee than beer...I kicked caffeine once and holy smokes, the withdrawal is pretty nasty (headaches, tired, nose bleeds from the caffeine / adenosine balance going off kilter..wow).

If I dont drink a beer for a week, I wouldn't even know it.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beergazzi View Post
Just to add something as a 'food for thought'..I can guarantee Im far more dependent on coffee than beer...I kicked caffeine once and holy smokes, the withdrawal is pretty nasty (headaches, tired, nose bleeds from the caffeine / adenosine balance going off kilter..wow).

If I dont drink a beer for a week, I wouldn't even know it.
I think the science is pretty clear that one to two drinks a day has health benefits but going beyond that has negative health consequences. This, of course, is the "average" and it will be different for each person. The higher the ABV in the beer, the less you should drink from a health standpoint. Coffee, while very addicting, is a bit of an oddball. Study after study has found health benefits from coffee (on a whole range of areas), and, unlike alcohol, the benefits appear to increase with consumption. Put simply, if coffee does not make you jittery, you should drink as much of it as possible.
mttfrog13 Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Alcohol consumption in general is not "good" for you, it adversly effects triglycerides and cholesterol, blood pressure, it can mess with your digestive tract, and your liver can go bye bye. On the other hand, it can help lower cholesterol and aid in digestion. Funny eh? It depends on who you listen too. I personally think the biggest problem with beer drinking is the intake of excessive calories. Binge drinking on the other hand is where you damage your physical and mental health.
But who doesnt like to get wasted once in a while, Im not talking about sleeping on the bathroom floor covered in vomit wasted.....
A while back I had a health concern with my heart. I have had PVC's since I was 15-16 and i finally got it checked out. Its normal, alot of you probably have them. Its a common condition and I was informed it in no way effects your overall health or lifespan. The interesting part of this is the cardiologist actually instructed me to drink 2-4 beers or glasses of wine a day, but NOT every day. He said avoid all hard alcohol, well thats hard to do but I rarely drink hard alcohol, maybe a few cocktails in a night twice a month and a bloody here and there.
On to the liver.... Binge drinking will damage your liver. I wound up in the hospital from drinking almost 2 liters of vodka and jager in a night atop countless beers at a party when i was 20-22. I couldnt hold water down. Turns out it was gastritus, but they did blood tests and my liver enzymes were elevated, which they can be for a while after binging. The ER doc mentioned it as a concern.
Now fast forward a few years, During a routine health exam my liver enzymes were triple the normal range but still half of what they were in the ER. The doc didnt even mention anything about the liver, not because there were grave concerns elsewhere on the panel, but because there was no worry as I asked about them.
Moral of the story is it depends on who you listen to, and if a cardiologist tells me to drink 2-4 beers a night, then dammit, Im going to!
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklinck View Post
I think the science is pretty clear that one to two drinks a day has health benefits but going beyond that has negative health consequences.
It's hard to accept that but you're right. Even with all the different studies on drinking and alcohol, science pretty much agrees that 1 - 2 drinks is healthy, but drinking beyond that has negative health effects. Denying that is like denying global warming. I just read a study the other week that said the first drink of the day adds 30 minutes to your life, but every drink thereafter subtracts 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olz431 View Post
I personally think the biggest problem with beer drinking is the intake of excessive calories.
I agree, of course assuming we're not alcoholics. You'd probably only have to worry about your liver if you're drinking at the levels of an alcoholic. For smaller amounts of drinking, the biggest concern is really just the empty calories.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #28
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

each slice of bacon takes a month off of your life, so I shouldve been dead in 1879
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
tackett
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'll deny global warming all day.
White Horse Belgian White
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I good friend of mine has been drinking 1500 ml (2 bottles) of white wine every night for the past 10 years. He can count on one hand the number of times he did not drink in the past decade.

He just turned 50, physically active, eats well and takes vitamins and supplements. Every night he drinks his wine till 2 am or so and then gets up at 6am. Been doing this for years.

The doctors tell him that he is in great shape. As for his liver... I dunno