Hmmm... I bought this kit for my husband and we're planning on brewing it on Monday; it will be our first time homebrewing. Any tips or suggestions? Did you do the secondary fermentation process that Brewers Best recommends, or just stick to primary for 3-4 weeks instead?
I'm going over the process in my head, and here's what I've been thinking of doing for the steep/partial mash process:
1) Use a kitchen pot to bring recommended quantity of water up to temperature, and have another small amount of water heated and ready to add if the mash temperature falls too much when we add the grains.
2) Transfer the heated water into a beverage cooler or some other vessel that I can insulate to regulate the temperature, add grain bag and steep.
3) Heat water for rinsing/sparging(?)
4) Remove grain bag from the mini mash tun, transfer wort to my brew kettle (5 gal stainless steel pot), replace grain bag in mash tun, pour rinsing water over grain bag and let sit for a few minutes.
5) Remove grain bag and transfer sparge(?) water to brew kettle.
6) Top off brew kettle with as much water as I dare, since I can't do a full boil in that size of a pot, and begin boil schedule.
7) Cool, transfer to primary fermentation bucket, top off with water to make 5 gallons or recommended OG.
Does that sound vaguely correct? Like I said, we're complete brewing noobs, so I'm not clear on all the terminology yet... hence all the (?) parentheses.