First Brew Day Report! (w/ pics!) - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Day Report! (w/ pics!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
gcdowd
 
gcdowd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Posts: 1,877
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Hot side aeration is something that is widely debated among homebrewers, yet taken very seriously among professionals. I don't worry myself about it, because I haven't tasted the cardboard, yet...but a small piece of silicone tubing is a cheap enough precaution, don't you think?
Sure do, I use a hose when I drain, just to be safe
__________________
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
EZCyclone
 
EZCyclone's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 476
Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts


Ok, silly question. Right before pitching we are told to oxygenate the beer. I do this by pouring the beer back and forth from the boil kettle to the fermentor bucket like five times from a height of 3 feet. Let me tell you it works! I usually get first bubbles in three hours or so. Even with the big IIIPA I did a few weeks back that started out at 1.110! I later added some water to bring it down to 1.192. Is the concern here that it is being done while hot? Wont the boil de-oxygenate it anyway?

Just wondering. All my beer comes out pretty tasty, but hope I'm not doing something wrong.
__________________
Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galact...577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCyclone View Post
Ok, silly question. Right before pitching we are told to oxygenate the beer. I do this by pouring the beer back and forth from the boil kettle to the fermentor bucket like five times from a height of 3 feet. Let me tell you it works! I usually get first bubbles in three hours or so. Even with the big IIIPA I did a few weeks back that started out at 1.110! I later added some water to bring it down to 1.192. Is the concern here that it is being done while hot? Wont the boil de-oxygenate it anyway?

Just wondering. All my beer comes out pretty tasty, but hope I'm not doing something wrong.
Most of the issues debated have to do with "hot-side aeration" which is when the wort is at mash, sparge, or boiling temps. Pitching temps are much cooler. Your method adds the element of introducing infection from the ambient air, but so does mine (stick blender).
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #14
EZCyclone
 
EZCyclone's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 476
Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts


Funny you say that, I just got my first infection. lol. BUT it was after racking into secondary, so it's from something else.
__________________
Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galact...577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #15
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCyclone View Post
Funny you say that, I just got my first infection. lol. BUT it was after racking into secondary, so it's from something else.
Every exposure introduces risk. I rarely secondary, even when I add fruit.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First brew report, & question. Ottis Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-01-2010 12:40 AM
First Brew report Dr_Gordon_Freeman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 01-13-2010 10:45 PM
Hops growers report. How far along are your hops? Pics, 1st time grower. Mr Bigins Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 08-17-2006 11:29 PM
First Brew Report HomerT General Beer Discussion 5 11-02-2005 01:34 AM
First Brew Progress Report McCall St. Brewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 10-09-2005 01:20 AM


Forum Jump