Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Totally wrong hop

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
drummer3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Totally wrong hop

Just wanted some input on my latest screwup. I left home brewing for a few years and decided to start with a few kits to get back into it.
I brewed a Midwest Colonge Kolsch kit this weekend. About 30 min into the boil my propane tank went dry ( I really though I had enough!). So I covered the kettle, ran to store and exchaned the tank. All in all it took me 20 min to get back and hook it up. It came back to a boil in just a few minutes. I wanted to increase the boil time by 20-25 min to make up for the time it was down. So then this crazy thought came to mind. I started thinking that the extra boil time would deminish my 60 min bittering hops (Sazz) potency. So I stupidly decided to throw a .5 oz of nortern brewer in to make up for that.(it's all I had). I've since then have kicked myself over and over for that decision.

Just wondering how you all think that this beer will be like.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What was the total time the wort spent at a rolling boil and how long was the Northern Brewer boiled?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 190

I can't fathom half an aounce could ruin it. If so, let it lager longer, the hops go away over time.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
drummer3
Recipes 

The wort spent a hour total boiling and I threw in the NB hops at the last 25 min of the boil.
I figure that I might have a hoppyish type kolsch. Or even something like an English pale ale.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1133 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer3 View Post
Just wanted some input on my latest screwup. I left home brewing for a few years and decided to start with a few kits to get back into it.
I brewed a Midwest Colonge Kolsch kit this weekend. About 30 min into the boil my propane tank went dry ( I really though I had enough!). So I covered the kettle, ran to store and exchaned the tank. All in all it took me 20 min to get back and hook it up. It came back to a boil in just a few minutes. I wanted to increase the boil time by 20-25 min to make up for the time it was down. So then this crazy thought came to mind. I started thinking that the extra boil time would deminish my 60 min bittering hops (Sazz) potency. So I stupidly decided to throw a .5 oz of nortern brewer in to make up for that.(it's all I had). I've since then have kicked myself over and over for that decision.

Just wondering how you all think that this beer will be like.
Thanks
I think it would be good enough for me to drink. Give me a call when it is done.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
The wort spent a hour total boiling and I threw in the NB hops at the last 25 min of the boil.
I figure that I might have a hoppyish type kolsch. Or even something like an English pale ale.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will be a little more bitter than you intended. A half ounce at 25 minutes won't add too much flavor. A little Northern Brewer flavor would probably be good in a kolsch.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
drummer3
Recipes 

Update...This Kolsch actually turned out very nice. Perfect for a warm spring day...if we ever get one.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Snisup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Update...This Kolsch actually turned out very nice. Perfect for a warm spring day...if we ever get one.
Glad to hear it came out alright. I'm happy when I see that people's brainfarts (including my own) come out well. I love Northern Brewer hops so this actually sounds quite delicious.

drummer3 Likes This