Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > late hopping my ipa.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #21
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty

oh, well, yes, FSW is pretty effing good, i would seek it out if i had to
I've tried so many variations of hop bursting and through all my attempts, nothing beats dry hopping. The flavor is in the aroma. FWH followed by a small dose of magnum at thirty. Half ounce of your favorite hops at 20-10-5-0 and 2oz in secondary for five days. Kegged an IPA loaded with Mosaic. Fantastic

Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #22
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
I'm drawing up a recipe for an ipa that uses almost exclusively late addition hops. what do u think I'd get better flavor from at 20 mins, 1 oz simcoe or 3 oz cascade? leaf hops. (there's gonna be other late additions, just trying to figure if it would be better to do the simcoe earlier or later). Thanks
The answer to your original question is simple - BOTH

Late hopping is great. I've been doing the majority of my beers with only 30 minute or later additions, and I love it. There's something to be said for cost savings if you're only trying to add bitterness and not flavor/aroma, but for a few extra dollars, with the right hops, hop-bursting can produce a ridiculously good beer for many different styles (not just IPAs).

But seriously, back to your question. The real answer is of course complex. It all depends on what flavor and aroma you're trying to get out of that 20 minute addition. I assume you're saying 1 oz. of Simcoe vs. 3 oz of Cascade to provide similar IBU, but those additions will be quite different with respect to flavor, aroma, and the character of the bitterness. Simcoe is much more piney or 'dank' whereas Cascade is more citrus, so you're going to get a much different flavor/aroma.

With respect to the character of the bitterness, the cohumulone levels of the hops affect how aggressive or assertive the bitterness will be, so for a given IBU level, a hop with a higher cohumulone level, expressed as a percentage of alpha acids, will produce a more assertive bitterness that can be perceived as more harsh. That's why some of the new purposefully bred high-alpha aroma hops are also touted as superb all-purpose hops, b/c they have low cohumulone levels. Simcoe is ~15 - 20% and Cascade is ~33 - 40%, so a given IBU level attained through a single Cascade addition may be perceived as 'harsher' than the same IBU level attained through a single Simcoe addition.

20 minute additions are probably late enough that you won't get too harsh a character from the Cascade addition, but it is something to think about. I always try to keep my 'heavy' late additions to high-aroma, low cohumulone level hops to get tons of flavor and aroma and smooth bitterness.

Good luck.

People Like This 
Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

And yes, if you really want to get the killer aroma, dry-hop. Preferably in the keg if you keg your beers.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti_mo View Post
The answer to your original question is simple - BOTH

Late hopping is great. I've been doing the majority of my beers with only 30 minute or later additions, and I love it. There's something to be said for cost savings if you're only trying to add bitterness and not flavor/aroma, but for a few extra dollars, with the right hops, hop-bursting can produce a ridiculously good beer for many different styles (not just IPAs).

But seriously, back to your question. The real answer is of course complex. It all depends on what flavor and aroma you're trying to get out of that 20 minute addition. I assume you're saying 1 oz. of Simcoe vs. 3 oz of Cascade to provide similar IBU, but those additions will be quite different with respect to flavor, aroma, and the character of the bitterness. Simcoe is much more piney or 'dank' whereas Cascade is more citrus, so you're going to get a much different flavor/aroma.

With respect to the character of the bitterness, the cohumulone levels of the hops affect how aggressive or assertive the bitterness will be, so for a given IBU level, a hop with a higher cohumulone level, expressed as a percentage of alpha acids, will produce a more assertive bitterness that can be perceived as more harsh. That's why some of the new purposefully bred high-alpha aroma hops are also touted as superb all-purpose hops, b/c they have low cohumulone levels. Simcoe is ~15 - 20% and Cascade is ~33 - 40%, so a given IBU level attained through a single Cascade addition may be perceived as 'harsher' than the same IBU level attained through a single Simcoe addition.

20 minute additions are probably late enough that you won't get too harsh a character from the Cascade addition, but it is something to think about. I always try to keep my 'heavy' late additions to high-aroma, low cohumulone level hops to get tons of flavor and aroma and smooth bitterness.

Good luck.
that's the best damn answer i've ever gotten. thank you.

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
J343MY
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed a beer, somewhere in between an APA and IPA, that the only hop addition was 4oz at flameout. It will get another 4oz dry hop. Pretty excited about this one.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by J343MY View Post
I just brewed a beer, somewhere in between an APA and IPA, that the only hop addition was 4oz at flameout. It will get another 4oz dry hop. Pretty excited about this one.
You're not worried about there being very little bitterness in that beer? Unless beersmith is steering me wrong, you're only going to have about 6 IBUs.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5 View Post
You're not worried about there being very little bitterness in that beer? Unless beersmith is steering me wrong, you're only going to have about 6 IBUs.
...l tend to agree, there is very little bittering that I can perceive will be occurring. It'll probably have a good hoppiness to it, but it might be difficult to perceive it as an IPA...even an APA possibly. But hey, i've never tried that type of thing, so i could be completely off base.

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #28
crazyirishman34
Feedback Score: 68 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 88

It really depends on how long you whirlpool for. The wort doesn't have to be boiling to be hot enough to convert the alpha acids.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
chri5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
It really depends on how long you whirlpool for. The wort doesn't have to be boiling to be hot enough to convert the alpha acids.
That is true, but for an IPA I would want to ensure at least a base level of bitterness. 4oz is certainly a lot of hops, but everything I've been able to find shows that you lose extraction efficiency pretty quickly as temp drops.

I love late hopping, but I'd also be worried about having an insufficiently bittered IPA.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #30
J343MY
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5 View Post
I steep for around 30 minutes before I start running it through my counterflow chiller. By the time all of the wort is in the fermenter at least some of it has been exposed to the hops for more than 45 minutes. This is plenty of time to get some decent IBU's, way more than 6.

You can't really trust beersmith to properly calculate flameout IBU contributions.