Review this IPA - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Review this IPA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
hershpga
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Clinton, MD
Posts: 8


Ok so this is going to be my first recipie that I have thrown together. I dont plan on brewing this until mid next month so I have plenty of time to tweek the ingredients. I would like the criticism from everyone that wants to put in their .2$. I havent picked a yeast yet because i havent read enough about the different varieties to make an educated guess. Well, on to the recipe.

Grain Bill
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.1 %
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.7 %
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.8 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %

Boil
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 16.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 32.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Secondary
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs


Thank you in advanced.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,617
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts


Ok, first off, you have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much caramel malt in there. Cut it back to under a pound (I'd go 8oz). Also, pils is basically a lighter kilned 2-row (more or less) so you're not going to be able to taste 2 pounds in this recipe. I'd just switch that to more 2-row for simplicity. The wheat isn't necessary, but it isn't hurting anything either.

You also have a ton of competing hop varieties/flavors going on there. Warrior is a great clean bittering hop so I'd use that for your cheap alphas. Then I'd stick to your standard american citrus/pine varieties: in there you've got Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra; the challenger could probably fit in there too as a nice interesting way to mix it up a bit. I'd use those as late additions, but only at 20m and later. 40 and 30m additions aren't adding anything but bitterness, and you can get that with your 60m addition. I'd try to use 3 or fewer hop varieties to avoid getting muddled.

What are your goals for this IPA?
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
SF Peninsula
Posts: 5,078
Liked 905 Times on 734 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Ok, first off, you have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much caramel malt in there. Cut it back to under a pound (I'd go 8oz). Also, pils is basically a lighter kilned 2-row (more or less) so you're not going to be able to taste 2 pounds in this recipe. I'd just switch that to more 2-row for simplicity. The wheat isn't necessary, but it isn't hurting anything either.

You also have a ton of competing hop varieties/flavors going on there. Warrior is a great clean bittering hop so I'd use that for your cheap alphas. Then I'd stick to your standard american citrus/pine varieties: in there you've got Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra; the challenger could probably fit in there too as a nice interesting way to mix it up a bit. I'd use those as late additions, but only at 20m and later. 40 and 30m additions aren't adding anything but bitterness, and you can get that with your 60m addition. I'd try to use 3 or fewer hop varieties to avoid getting muddled.

What are your goals for this IPA?
+1. Pretty much everything I was going to say.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,038
Liked 440 Times on 351 Posts


daksin gave you some pretty sound advice. Cut Crystal malt to 0-5% total. Pilsener malt will be lost here. Switch flaked wheat to wheat malt. Add a bit of Munich malt if you want. Mash at 152 F for 60 min.

I'd omit the Fuggles, Challenger, and Liberty. Bitter with Warrior. Focus on Simcoe, Centennial, Citra, and Cascade late and/or in the dryhop. A simple 60/15/0/DH schedule with 5 oz. kettle hops will work well (1 oz. at 60, 2 oz. at 15, 2 oz at 0). Dryhop with an additional 3 oz. - No need for secondary - Dryhop in the primary during the last week.

Use a clean Cali Ale yeast, like Safale US-05, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056, to allow the hops to shine better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
hershpga
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Clinton, MD
Posts: 8

Ok, all the advice is awesome!!! I was expecting for my recipe to be way worse, but I am pretty new into the all grain scene and cant wait to make a brew that came out of my noggin along with everyones help. I'm sure it will be revised even more before brew day. My goals for the brew would be to just have a flavorful IPA that isn't terribly overpowering. I do like IPA's so it would take a lot. This is my first time brewing an IPA so I am just starting to experiment with types/amounts of hops. Oh and daksin, congrats on opening the nano brewery.

Revised

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 26.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,038
Liked 440 Times on 351 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hershpga View Post
My goals for the brew would be to just have a flavorful IPA that isn't terribly overpowering. I do like IPA's so it wouldn't take a lot.
Overpowering in the sense of what?... Bitterness?

The 100% Citra dryhop will lend something very juicy, fruity, and tropical. For more complexity, you might want to divvy that up a bit between Citra, Centennial, and Simcoe... or two of these.

And this is minor, but Munich 10L would be better suited for the AIPA style. More malt complexity can be had by subbing a portion of American 2-row with English 2-row and using a yeast like WLP002 or WLP007 over the cleaner WLP001.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
hershpga
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Clinton, MD
Posts: 8

No I love IPA's, I really like the taste of Stone's Ruination IPA which is rated at 100+ IBU's. And yea I will split the dry hop up with Simcoe and see how that turns out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hershpga View Post
Revised

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 26.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
Better!

I'm not a huge citra fan, but I like it mixed with other hops (like in Sierra Nevada Torpedo). I'd probably reduce the 60 minute hops to 1 ounce, mix up the three flavor/aroma varieties a bit.

Like this:
1 oz warrior 60 minutes
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
1 oz centennial 5 minutes
1 oz citra 0 minutes
1 oz simcoe 0 minutes
1 oz centennial dryhop
1 oz citra dryhop

I like simcoe/centennial/citra together, as the simcoe is citrus/pine, the centennial is floral/citrus and citra screams MANGO.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
techbrewie
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Fargo, ND
Posts: 340
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Better!

I'm not a huge citra fan,
are you a terrorist? :-)
__________________
Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
jakenbacon
 
jakenbacon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Glendale, AZ
Posts: 616
Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts


Reviewed.....

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESB Review please. brieuxster Recipes/Ingredients 5 06-01-2011 01:35 PM
Schneider Aventinus Weizenbock Beer Review - Beer Review Dude jbrookeiv Commercial Brew Discussion 2 04-15-2011 06:24 PM
If you got this review what would you think... rtbroze Extract Brewing 25 11-05-2010 03:44 AM
1st AG IPA - Please Review macabra11 Recipes/Ingredients 12 04-23-2009 08:08 PM


Forum Jump