Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire) - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire)

Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Oh and if they had followed me around to make sure I got everything I needed... it would have just been weird.

A few years ago, when I still had the kind of money to shop at Whole Foods, the young man at the register seemed to have had brain surgery. I'm not saying that to be mean, I mean he had a big zipper scar on the side of his head, and his speech was affected. As I got my cart up to the moving counter he said "please be patient with me." You got it, buddy. He did fine, by the way... maybe I should have asked if they sold glass bottles...

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

People Like This 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #42
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 140 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-brewer View Post
butcher is a term reserved for someone who actually breaks the whole animal down into its primal cuts (chuck, shoulder, short loin, sirloin, etc) then cuts the steaks, roasts, etc off those. Most grocery stores get the meat in their primal form and cut steaks, roasts, etc. They are technically called meat cutters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creamygoodness View Post
i've learned something today.
+1

Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #43
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Cary, NC - North Carolina
Liked 181 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
I treat people the way they treat me. And I view constant harassment as rude. Seriously, if I can't walk through the front door, go 75 ft back to the plumbing aisle, spend two minutes comparing models of the item I'm looking for, and walk to the check out without SIX DIFFERENT employees asking if they can help me... I consider that rude. I'm not going to treat THEM with rainbows and unicorns.

And there are so many logical fallacies in your argument... 1) You expect us to know every employee of every store we frequent? HA. 2) Even if we did know them all, in stores that promote the "helpful" atmosphere, it's impossible to avoid them. 3) When I walk into a store, I expect the people to have an understanding of the products they sell. It is not *MY* job to educate them. That's management's job. If they're willing to knock 5% off the price for me taking my time to educate THEIR employees, then sure... but I haven't found a store like that yet.
There is actually a reason why this is a common occurrence.

Some time ago, someone figured out that one of the best ways to curb retail theft is to provide excellent customer service.

Employees can not help their self. It is ingrained in the DNA of the system.

Management encourages such behavior because while it pisses off some, it lets others (potential thieves) know that their presence is noticed.

Generally speaking, the majority of people prefer this type of customer service because it prevents them from having to use the thought process. It is much easier to be told what to do than to expend the effort to figure it out on your own.

You my friend - a freethinker are an abnormality.

The best way to not be bothered is to shop at Walmart on a Sunday after the 1st of the month. If you spent the entire day at Wally-World and are voluntarily assisted by an employee, Id'e like to shake your hand and buy you a case of craft beer.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #44
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

I guess I have experienced such good service at a few of the places I frequent that bad service really sticks out.

And its just a pet psychopathic hatred of mine for an associate, cashier or clerk to make a face as if I have said something inane when I ask for something. "Hi there, do you have peppermint altoids?" "HUH?! *screwed up face*"... I instantly now hate you.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #45
Sammy86
Still thirsty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Connecticut
Liked 226 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy
In a prior life I served a 3 year sentence in retail management.

While there is no excuse for being rude, there are a few things that one should consider.

First, while you are at home with your family on Christmas day, Thanksgiving, or any other holiday, some poor sap is serving up fries or checking out last minute shoppers.

When you are home on a Saturday enjoying a BBQ with your family, some guy is mixing paint at Lowe's.

When folks come in and cheerfully and unknowingly say "TGIF" or "enjoy your weekend" a small piece of pride is stripped away.

Retail workers often work odd hours and will have a "turn around" once or twice a week. How would you feel about getting off at 11pm on a Friday and coming back to work at 7am on Saturday?

In general, retail work is looked down upon by society and many customers gladly display this attitude. As a manager I would be talked to as if i were a child being scorn.

Yes, retail has its fair share of unmotivated folks with bad attitudes but give em a break. Life is already hard on them.

Being away from it for several years now, I still feel for these guys. If I go to Mcdonald's and am served extra salty fries by a miserable employee, I will politely brush off the extra salt, eat my meal and leave without saying a word.
I couldn't agree with what you said more! Being a current retail manager I now have a better understanding of how the system works from a management perspective. Many of the people applying for these jobs are kids, basically still learning the process of the store and how to be polite overall.

I've been working retail now for 14 years and everyone has a bad day, so you gotta give some people some slack, guys like me who are just starting out can't find a job in the field they studied (education in my case) are just trying to survive and having to put a smile on my face while working every weekend can be a pain sometimes, especially working 40+ hours a week and quick turnarounds (leaving at midnight back at 6 am) two or three days a week.

And remember each of these big box stores has ways that they want their associates trained which means everyone gets greeted and walked to where their product is. It's retail 101
Keg 1:Sully's Shingle Hop IPA
Keg 2: None
Future Brews: Murphy's Law of Kölsch

Old 02-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #46
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 555 Times on 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
While there is no excuse for being rude, there are a few things that one should consider.

Yes, retail has its fair share of unmotivated folks with bad attitudes but give em a break. Life is already hard on them.

Being away from it for several years now, I still feel for these guys. If I go to Mcdonald's and am served extra salty fries by a miserable employee, I will politely brush off the extra salt, eat my meal and leave without saying a word.
+1 Common courtesy goes a long way. Certainly further than being a jerk. Treat people with grace and respect. Boom.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #47
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy86 View Post
I couldn't agree with what you said more! Being a current retail manager I now have a better understanding of how the system works from a management perspective. Many of the people applying for these jobs are kids, basically still learning the process of the store and how to be polite overall.

I've been working retail now for 14 years and everyone has a bad day, so you gotta give some people some slack, guys like me who are just starting out can't find a job in the field they studied (education in my case) are just trying to survive and having to put a smile on my face while working every weekend can be a pain sometimes, especially working 40+ hours a week and quick turnarounds (leaving at midnight back at 6 am) two or three days a week.

And remember each of these big box stores has ways that they want their associates trained which means everyone gets greeted and walked to where their product is. It's retail 101
When I was fresh out of school with a business degree, I interviewed, had a few offers and actually accepted a retail MGMT job because it was close to home and the pay was surprisingly better than the other offers that I had. Friends and family could not believe that you could survive off of "retail wages". I was actually earning more than just about everyone that I graduated with.

During my sentence, I witnessed a stabbing, multiple thefts, fights, employee theft, several incidents of people shatting on the sales floor, deranged folks who claimed to be jesus when off their meds, and several other things not worth mentioning.

Remember, when you give that retail worker a hard time, there is a good chance that they just finished mopping up shat from the floor before he or she serves you.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #48
Jukas
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 103 Times on 79 Posts

I had a fun one yesterday when I went into Home Depot to pickup tubing for my CIP system and some other stuff.

I'm in the plumbing (toilet/sink) isle and I can't find the 1 1/2" ID reinforced vinyl but I do see spa tubing, but I can't find a temp or PSI rating on it. So I look around and ask one of the employees walking the main isle about it. He tells me he doesn't work in plumbing, but points to another associate 20' away with a customer standing nearby and says "Jose works in plumbing, he'll be able to answer that question".

I wander over and the exchange literally goes like this.

Me: "Excuse me, your fellow associate said you work in plumbing supplies and could answer a question about spa tubing?"

Jose: "Huh? Who said that?"

Which immediately pisses me off

Me: "The other guy, wearing the home depot apron just like yours, who told me you worked in that department and then fled as fast as he could. I need to know the temp rating and psi of spa tubing, are you able to assist me or can you find me someone who can?"

Jose: "Uhm, well, tubing? I..."

At that point the customer laughs and says "I can help you". Turns out he worked there and didn't have his typical associate garb on, as he was deploying new product displays and kept getting interrupted. The second guy was great, he found me a datasheet on all their tubing, as well as found boxes of reinforced vinyl tubing, cut me the length I wanted, wrote me up a tag and told me if I had any problems with it to just bring it back.

To be fair, the gal who oversaw self check out was great also. She saw I was having a problem getting a barcode to scan so she came over and scanned it for me, then saw I had a bunch of the same items and went "here let me scan all those same items for you it'll be much faster"

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #49
Sammy86
Still thirsty

Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Connecticut
Liked 226 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy

When I was fresh out of school with a business degree, I interviewed, had a few offers and actually accepted a retail MGMT job because it was close to home and the pay was surprisingly better than the other offers that I had. Friends and family could not believe that you could survive off of "retail wages". I was actually earning more than just about everyone that I graduated with.

During my sentence, I witnessed a stabbing, multiple thefts, fights, employee theft, several incidents of people shatting on the sales floor, deranged folks who claimed to be jesus when off their meds, and several other things not worth mentioning.

Remember, when you give that retail worker a hard time, there is a good chance that they just finished mopping up shat from the floor before he or she serves you.
I graduated undergrad five years ago this May and received my MS a year and a half ago and with the market the way it is its tough finding a teaching job, especially with all the Baby Boomers not retiring. So since I put myself through college and graduate school working retail it was time for Management position until hopefully this fall.

I've seen it all, employee thefts, consumer thefts, Managers and employees getting into fist fights, recently fired employees slashing GM's tires, death threats the whole nine.

What's happening especially now is the starting rate of pay is minimum wage and you're not exactly going to get the best people to work for ya. What happens is the good employees (usually college kids) graduate and move on in there careers and the turnover rate would blow your mind.

We retail people work LONG hours for sometimes little pay and the amount of pressure to hit sales goals in a declined economy is ridiculous. Remember retail isn't for everyone and sometimes you're going to run into those people that would be better served sitting alone Ina cubicle for 8 hours staring at a computer screen, have a little patience and if you really don't need help be polite about it, say hey I appreciate your help but I know I want.

Not that difficult
Keg 1:Sully's Shingle Hop IPA
Keg 2: None
Future Brews: Murphy's Law of Kölsch

Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #50
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy86 View Post
I graduated undergrad five years ago this May and received my MS a year and a half ago and with the market the way it is its tough finding a teaching job, especially with all the Baby Boomers not retiring. So since I put myself through college and graduate school working retail it was time for Management position until hopefully this fall.

I've seen it all, employee thefts, consumer thefts, Managers and employees getting into fist fights, recently fired employees slashing GM's tires, death threats the whole nine.

What's happening especially now is the starting rate of pay is minimum wage and you're not exactly going to get the best people to work for ya. What happens is the good employees (usually college kids) graduate and move on in there careers and the turnover rate would blow your mind.

We retail people work LONG hours for sometimes little pay and the amount of pressure to hit sales goals in a declined economy is ridiculous. Remember retail isn't for everyone and sometimes you're going to run into those people that would be better served sitting alone Ina cubicle for 8 hours staring at a computer screen, have a little patience and if you really don't need help be polite about it, say hey I appreciate your help but I know I want.

Not that difficult
I know what you mean. I hear teaching jobs are hard to come by here in NC also.

4 out of 5 employees that I had offered substandard performance were jaded because they are stuck in a rut. Iv'e had some employees (usually the 50+ range) that actually enjoyed their job and worked by choice, not necessity. Lots of folks that are in transition and need to pay the bills.