Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire) - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Great rant, couldn't agree more.

I would like to add a similar situation I face at restaurants all the time that enrages me:
I sit down at a nice restaurant and am handed a wine menu in addition to the regular menu. Neither have a beer list. I ask the waiter what kind of beer do you have. They tell me we have MBC and some other beers too. I ask what they are and the waiter has no Idea. Seriously you dedicate a whole effing menu to fancy grape juice, dont list your beers, and dont know what beers you serve. Usually at this point I just get up and walk over to the bar and order my beer from there.

I asked what kind of draft beer do you have to a waitress. After ordering one that she mentions, she proceeds to bring me the beer I ordered in a bottle. Seriously? Why did I just ask you what kind of draft you have!!?!

Homercidal Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #32
Pilgarlic

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
Liked 138 Times on 109 Posts

My dialogues in most retail establishments, when I need help, normally go like this: Me: "Excuse me, DO YOU KNOW if (particular item) is what I need for (particular purpose)?" Guy in vest: "That should work but blah blah blah blah blah." Me: "You misunderstood my question. It was a yes or no question. DO YOU KNOW?" Guy in vest: "Not really."

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #33
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

When it comes to hardware stores, I hate this question most: "What are you making?" I realize that may be a valid strategy for the customer who asks for "that thingie that goes on the end of the other gadget so I can connect stuff."

However, when I'm very specific with my request and have been unable to find it due to the store's inane organization scheme, I do not feel compelled to explain to some high school flunkie what I'm building. I could be building a friggin' liquid fueled rocket, but that doesn't change the location of the stupid hole saws! Kindly show me where they live before I grab the nearest crowbar and smash your face with it. Oh, that makes sense. The plumbing section. Right. I should've looked there first instead of scouring the drill bit and power tool aisle. Go ask that old lady if she needs help carrying a stud. It's a great pickup line. Get out of my face.

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #34
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Austin, Tx
Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
Great rant, couldn't agree more.

I would like to add a similar situation I face at restaurants all the time that enrages me:
I sit down at a nice restaurant and am handed a wine menu in addition to the regular menu. Neither have a beer list. I ask the waiter what kind of beer do you have. They tell me we have MBC and some other beers too. I ask what they are and the waiter has no Idea. Seriously you dedicate a whole effing menu to fancy grape juice, dont list your beers, and dont know what beers you serve. Usually at this point I just get up and walk over to the bar and order my beer from there.

I asked what kind of draft beer do you have to a waitress. After ordering one that she mentions, she proceeds to bring me the beer I ordered in a bottle. Seriously? Why did I just ask you what kind of draft you have!!?!
Similar situation here. Went to a restaurant where I could see all three taps (bud light, shiner, dos xx) and asked the waiter, "what beer do you have?"

"Oh, we have anything you could want." My wife sees my eyes light up like I'm in heaven and quickly conveys "he's a beer snob, you may want to be more specific." Literally 2 minutes later I order a shiner as it was the most flavorful (and sadly most hoppy) beer they had.

BUT IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 2 MINUTES FOR ME TO FIGURE THAT OUT!!

Edit: I should clarify that during the 2 minute exchange the waiter kept repeating inane "just name it" garbage.
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #35
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 374 Times on 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42 View Post
Similar situation here. Went to a restaurant where I could see all three taps (bud light, shiner, dos xx) and asked the waiter, "what beer do you have?"

"Oh, we have anything you could want." My wife sees my eyes light up like I'm in heaven and quickly conveys "he's a beer snob, you may want to be more specific." Literally 2 minutes later I order a shiner as it was the most flavorful (and sadly most hoppy) beer they had.

BUT IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 2 MINUTES FOR ME TO FIGURE THAT OUT!!

Edit: I should clarify that during the 2 minute exchange the waiter kept repeating inane "just name it" garbage.
If I were in that situation, during said 2 minute exchange of "just name it", I would have pulled out at least 2-3 beers that I know would be physically impossible for them to have, because it's not distributed in Iowa. Dogfish 90 Minute would have been the first one, and them probably some micros out of Nebraska that don't distribute in Iowa....

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #36
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Cary, NC - North Carolina
Liked 181 Times on 128 Posts

In a prior life I served a 3 year sentence in retail management.

While there is no excuse for being rude, there are a few things that one should consider.

First, while you are at home with your family on Christmas day, Thanksgiving, or any other holiday, some poor sap is serving up fries or checking out last minute shoppers.

When you are home on a Saturday enjoying a BBQ with your family, some guy is mixing paint at Lowe's.

When folks come in and cheerfully and unknowingly say "TGIF" or "enjoy your weekend" a small piece of pride is stripped away.

Retail workers often work odd hours and will have a "turn around" once or twice a week. How would you feel about getting off at 11pm on a Friday and coming back to work at 7am on Saturday?

In general, retail work is looked down upon by society and many customers gladly display this attitude. As a manager I would be talked to as if i were a child being scorn.

Yes, retail has its fair share of unmotivated folks with bad attitudes but give em a break. Life is already hard on them.

Being away from it for several years now, I still feel for these guys. If I go to Mcdonald's and am served extra salty fries by a miserable employee, I will politely brush off the extra salt, eat my meal and leave without saying a word.

People Like This 
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #37
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

There is never a reason to be rude to the person helping you no matter how mentally challenged they are bless their souls.

But you can help yourself by knowing the folks who work there and avoid dealing with idiots. Just say thank you no I am just ambling around for a bit and walk off. Or if they seem like the time of person who wants to learn talk to them about what you are doing and teach them a little. Remember we all were drooling idiots at some time until a kind soul decided to help us.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #38
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 374 Times on 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
There is never a reason to be rude to the person helping you no matter how mentally challenged they are bless their souls.

But you can help yourself by knowing the folks who work there and avoid dealing with idiots. Just say thank you no I am just ambling around for a bit and walk off. Or if they seem like the time of person who wants to learn talk to them about what you are doing and teach them a little. Remember we all were drooling idiots at some time until a kind soul decided to help us.
I treat people the way they treat me. And I view constant harassment as rude. Seriously, if I can't walk through the front door, go 75 ft back to the plumbing aisle, spend two minutes comparing models of the item I'm looking for, and walk to the check out without SIX DIFFERENT employees asking if they can help me... I consider that rude. I'm not going to treat THEM with rainbows and unicorns.

And there are so many logical fallacies in your argument... 1) You expect us to know every employee of every store we frequent? HA. 2) Even if we did know them all, in stores that promote the "helpful" atmosphere, it's impossible to avoid them. 3) When I walk into a store, I expect the people to have an understanding of the products they sell. It is not *MY* job to educate them. That's management's job. If they're willing to knock 5% off the price for me taking my time to educate THEIR employees, then sure... but I haven't found a store like that yet.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #39
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Liked 1976 Times on 1241 Posts

I'm sensing a little thread-drift here (don't we already have a thread for complaining about wait staff who are clueless about their own beer selection)?

To steer back toward the topic, someone needs to take the employees at the Home Depot in my neighborhood and tether them to their departments. It seems every time I go in and actually need help finding something, it takes me 5 minutes to track down someone in an orange apron, and when I finally do, I always get the "Hang on, I'll get someone, this isn't my department" line.

If it's not your department, then what the heck are you doing over here? What is the Plumbing guy doing wandering the Electrical aisles? Where should I look for the Paint guy - in back, cutting plywood on that giant wall-saw?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #40
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

Management (as is almost always the case) is usually to blame here. If you set up an atmosphere where employees are praying for an early death, they are going to give bad service. If, given my example, some associate from the curtains department was passing through glassware when I asked the question, I wouldnt mind at all "I'm from curtains so Im not sure, but I know that Bob, that guy over there, will know if anyone does."

Recently I tried to find the mold spore that you use to make sake (is it koji? I forget) and thought if anyone would have it it would be the Japanese store. Since I speak no Japanese I printed the recipe and brought it with me. The 18 year old girl behind the register, in slow measured English, said (I kid you not) "I am unfamiliar with that product, let me ask Taka." Taka wasnt sure what I was looking for, and asked to see the paper I had in my hand. "Ah! you make saki! I dont think we have what you are looking for, but let me call the owner" Even though I came away empty handed, THATS service that goes above and beyond. "Good" service would have been "I dont think we have it, but if we did it would be in aisle 2." Bad service is "huh?"

I suppose "huh" is ok if I asked to buy a live chicken.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!