Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire)

Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

I've learned something today.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

dkwolf Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

OK something I have learned in my life when dealing with idiots. I don't deal with them...period. I have been going to the stores I frequent enough that I am greeted by name and I know the folks who are knowledgeable in the store and they are the people I talk to. I do not go to Home Depot unless I absolutely have to and then I set my exceptions low enough a medium trained chimp can surpass them. I shop at local hardware stores when I walk in they say Hi Bill what are you building today with your beer stuff. And I take a beer in and share it with them.

Life is to short for me to have to deal with idiots. I will pay more and go where respect and knowledge rule and chimps are fired for lack of social skills.

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
progmac
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Cincy, OH
Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
In that case the person you have hired is actually a liability. Not trained enough to add any sort of value to the operation, but capable of acting as a representative for your company and has an extra key to the register...
they aren't a liability until the customers stop going to the store.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 363 Times on 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Depends on the store and the employee. Look for the older gentlemen, they usually know their stuff. Or if the employee doesn't know, ask them if there's someone who does...they can usually find someone who knows.

HD isn't as reliable as when I was a little kid, but I've still gotten some solid help there. Or, just go to Ace.
Oh dear dog. I almost hate going to Ace. I get that they want to be helpful. But they need to read body language. When a guy walks into the store and immediately makes a beeline towards a given department, it's probably a pretty safe bet he knows what he's looking for, and has a good handle on where to find it. Leave him the hell alone. When your Joe-homeowner-never-changed-a-lightbulb walks in wide eyed and shaking at the vast array in front of him... Yeah, help that guy. Leave me alone.

It's almost a para-military operation for me to buy anything there. Last time, I went in prepared. Had my running shoes laced up tight, left my slightly movement-restricting coat in the car (despite it being 5 with a below-zero windchill), and hit the front door at just below a jog. The salesdroid actually had to jog 10' to catch up to me as I turned the corner down the plumbing aisle. As the words "Can I help you find anything today", his face damn near shattered as I picked the valve I needed up, turned to him and said "Nope. Got it." The previous time, I needed some PVC pipe, a hand tool (tin snips, perhaps?) and electronics solder. The salesdroid insisted on walking me to Every. Single. Item. I almost lost it. Really felt like explaining to him that if he just left me the hell alone, I'd find the things I need, and then wander the store for 5-10 minutes to kill some time -- and might spend another $20-30 on tools/supplies I didn't specifically come there for that day, but decided to pick up since I was already there.

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
progmac
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Cincy, OH
Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
Oh dear dog. I almost hate going to Ace. I get that they want to be helpful. But they need to read body language. When a guy walks into the store and immediately makes a beeline towards a given department, it's probably a pretty safe bet he knows what he's looking for, and has a good handle on where to find it. Leave him the hell alone. When your Joe-homeowner-never-changed-a-lightbulb walks in wide eyed and shaking at the vast array in front of him... Yeah, help that guy. Leave me alone.

It's almost a para-military operation for me to buy anything there. Last time, I went in prepared. Had my running shoes laced up tight, left my slightly movement-restricting coat in the car (despite it being 5 with a below-zero windchill), and hit the front door at just below a jog. The salesdroid actually had to jog 10' to catch up to me as I turned the corner down the plumbing aisle. As the words "Can I help you find anything today", his face damn near shattered as I picked the valve I needed up, turned to him and said "Nope. Got it." The previous time, I needed some PVC pipe, a hand tool (tin snips, perhaps?) and electronics solder. The salesdroid insisted on walking me to Every. Single. Item. I almost lost it. Really felt like explaining to him that if he just left me the hell alone, I'd find the things I need, and then wander the store for 5-10 minutes to kill some time -- and might spend another $20-30 on tools/supplies I didn't specifically come there for that day, but decided to pick up since I was already there.
Haha. Yeah, pretty much. Wandering around lowes/home depot is fun...but that isn't really an option at Ace.

But it does bug me. Like if I want caulk. They ask me if I have any questions about caulk. Not really. What are you working on they ask. I tell them. Oh really, I recommend Caulk Y for that. But I really want Caulk X because I have had good experience with it. Then I'm in the awkward position of saying sorry salesman, i'm not taking your recommendation.

The flip side is that my local ace knows more about working on old houses than any where i've ever been. Once I asked someone in lowes if they had plaster washers. Hahahahahah. Meanwhile my local Ace will reglaze my old windows. It is just a different universe.

lowes and home depot have pretty terrible selection if you are doing anything remotely non "standard"

None of this even gets into the bonehead paint advice you get from, well, pretty much anywhere.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY

I had to temper this a bit the other day when I purchased some parm at the european supermarket. The guy behind the deli counter has a rather good grasp of the English language. I picked up a solid block of parm and asked if he could grate it for me (they have a machine they just put it into, no labor required really). Here is where we both misunderstood... I thought he was saying I had to purchase more for them to grate it for me (which would have been untrue) and he thought I was asking him to cut the block in half and repackage. Keeping myself from getting overly cranky was a big boon, because after the simple misunderstanding was cleared up he happily grated my cheese for me. Moral of this story is that a poor customer service experience can be salvaged if both sides are willing.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 553 Times on 389 Posts

I suppose the variability at Ace is very different from store to store, at least relative to HD/Lowes. I have an Ace a mile from my house and it's great.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
NivekD
Recipes 

Dec 2012
West Jordan, Utah
Liked 101 Times on 83 Posts

Try going into Lowes or HD and asking someone where the glazier's points are. All you get is...

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY

My local hardware store is the size of a phone booth. Not really but its small. Korean family owns and runs it, the daughter always thinks I'm flirting and is leary of me. Paint guy doesnt know how to use the computer for the paint colors ("where is the O, where is the O") but I tell ya, the son, mother, and father know where everything is and what you need for just about every project, and they dont try to upsell you unecessarily either.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #30
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivekD View Post
Try going into Lowes or HD and asking someone where the glazier's points are. All you get is...
The corner covers for glass panes?

I guess its good I dont work at Lowes or HD.