Craigslist Etiquette? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Craigslist Etiquette?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #31
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Pullman, WA
Liked 62 Times on 54 Posts

Just curious, how do most of you sellers go about discerning the real inquiries from the spam/fake/serial killers? I'm trying to sell a kitchen table and so far I have no idea (except for one obvious scammer) who is for real and who isn't. I really don't want to give out my address to someone who's going to come to my house and rob it while I'm at work.
Keg 4:

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #32
BryanJ
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Ithaca, N.Y.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

^ Don't send your money to Nigeria and meet somewhere besides your house. Poosibly your neighbor you don't likes driveway.

EZCyclone Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #33
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Livermore, CA
Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
Just curious, how do most of you sellers go about discerning the real inquiries from the spam/fake/serial killers? I'm trying to sell a kitchen table and so far I have no idea (except for one obvious scammer) who is for real and who isn't. I really don't want to give out my address to someone who's going to come to my house and rob it while I'm at work.
Only respond to emails that restate what the item is or that do not have a local phone number, or it is probably spam.
Don't take pictures of it in your house.
Don't show it to them in your house or in the garage.
Put the table outside before they come and meet them outside.

Also, emails with ghetto speak go right in the trash.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #34
Big_Blue

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Camarillo, CA
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentGrains View Post

Only respond to emails that restate what the item is or that do not have a local phone number, or it is probably spam.
Don't take pictures of it in your house.
Don't show it to them in your house or in the garage.
Put the table outside before they come and meet them outside.

Also, emails with ghetto speak go right in the trash.
This is sound advice.

Oh... and give a fellow a reasonable window before selling to someone else.
Bucket 1: Base Blonde #1
Bucket 2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Bugbear Ale
Keg 2: waiting

Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #35
mccumath

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Idaho
Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue

This is sound advice.

Oh... and give a fellow a reasonable window before selling to someone else.
Just sold a toddler bed. I loaded it up, took it to a highly populated place (Walmart). Would not show anything at my house unless I absolutely could not move it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #36
broadbill
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts

I dont have anything in my house that millons of other americans dont have in theirs. I dont see how sombody seeing inside of it is going to give them an edge on robbing the place. All of the stuff is where everybody else keeps there their stuff.

Also, why would they go through the hassle of answering an ad, faking a meeting, etc? If they want to rob the place they could just break in.

Lastly, selling stuff on CL does exactly scream "moneybags" to a potential thief...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #37
mccumath

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
I dont have anything in my house that millons of other americans dont have in theirs. I dont see how sombody seeing inside of it is going to give them an edge on robbing the place. All of the stuff is where everybody else keeps there their stuff.

Also, why would they go through the hassle of answering an ad, faking a meeting, etc? If they want to rob the place they could just break in.

Lastly, selling stuff on CL does exactly scream "moneybags" to a potential thief...
Depends on what kind of stuff you have... And people have done much more than "answering an ad" and "faking a meeting" to do some sort of terrible act.

I meet/work with members of society every day, 98% being complete strangers. There are a lot of strange human beings in the world, and the less they know about me the better. It is not my belongings that I worry about as much as the safety of my family. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #38
broadbill
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Depends on what kind of stuff you have... And people have done much more than "answering an ad" and "faking a meeting" to do some sort of terrible act.

I meet/work with members of society every day, 98% being complete strangers. There are a lot of strange human beings in the world, and the less they know about me the better. It is not my belongings that I worry about as much as the safety of my family. Just my 2 cents.
The world must be a scary place for you.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #39
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5515 Times on 4666 Posts

Lemme tell yall about my flaky experience with Free Cycle.

We had two queen size metal bed frames, boxes and mattresses to give away, for free. Everything on Free Cycle must be free. It's a cool idea. Goodwill wouldn't take them. Something about not having the resources to resell mattresses. The local church didn't want them either.

So I post on Free Cycle. It was no time before some sketchy sounding chic called. All strung out sounding and just generally weird. And kinda wired. But hey, if she can get these things outta my way, she can be as sketchy as she wants. She'll pick up tomorrow. Needs one for her and one for her kid. Great. Then the next day. Then no word. Then that Saturday. And her messages were like she was holding two conversations at once. I'm not sure if they were with actual different people. I called her back each time and got her voice mail. Now it's next Monday. I've told people it was taken all this time too.

Next woman who calls, I tell her come and get it. She and her husband and kid show up that evening. In a van. Loaded with stuff. I mean, sat down on the shocks, hardly room to sit in it loaded. Toys, pots, pans, boxes, clothes. I dunno. Were they Free Cycle hoarders? Their plan was to put the frames in the van and strap the two boxes and two mattresses to the top of the van. Now, imagine the height of these four items, on top a van. We had to use a ladder to stack them. They cinched them down with straps hooked to the bottom of the van's body. It was a road hazard if I ever saw one. They nearly lost it twice going down the road out the neighborhood. I told my wife we'd have to watch the news to see if anyone was wiped out on the highway by errant bedding. That almost happened to me once. I didn't hear about it, so i guess they made it okay.

Never did hear from sketchy chic again.

But this van. Seriously. It could have been an episode of Hoarders all by itself. They had to be getting gallons per mile loaded down like that.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #40
mccumath

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill

The world must be a scary place for you.
Not as much as it might sound. I just don't trust random strangers that want to buy stuff from me on Craigslist. Better safe than sorry.

You buy and sell on Craigslist the way you like, and I will do it the way I like. Most likely, it will work out fine for both of us, don't you think? Just figured I would offer up a little advice on how I prefer to do business on Craigslist.