Craigslist Etiquette? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Craigslist Etiquette?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Big_Blue
 
Big_Blue's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Camarillo, CA
Posts: 137
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


It makes no sense. You had to go online to post your ad, so reply to the obfuscated email. If you didn't want to bother with email in the first place, you should've posted in the PennySaver.
__________________
“Write drunk; edit sober.” - EH
_______________________________
Carboy: OxyClean
Bucket 1: Base Blonde #1
Bucket 2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Bugbear Ale
Keg 2: waiting

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by novafire View Post
I totally agree on the lack of email usage for 90% of CL users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
It makes no sense. You had to go online to post your ad, so reply to the obfuscated email. If you didn't want to bother with email in the first place, you should've posted in the PennySaver.
The assumption you are making is that a upon posting to CL, sits at home clicking the refresh button on his email every 2-3 seconds until he get a buyer on the hook.

As a seller of stuff on CL, I've got places to go too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post

The rest of the butthurt comes from me missing out on a profit because Mr. Pants-on-Fire couldn't spot me 60 minutes. Even if that Summit kegerator has been partially blown up, covered in rust, and held together with duct tape, I could have stripped it down and sold all the included parts for triple what he was asking.

Again... damn, let a guy rant a little, eh?

Maybe you should offered more, if it was worth that much to you (or you could have sold it for triple what you paid).

My rules for selling on CL: assuming they are offering the same amount of $, whoever gets there first gets the deal. I don't always let them know there are other people interested, either. Just because I'm emailing you doesn't mean I'm ignoring all of the other emails from people expressing interest.

Which leads me to my second rule: If buying, always assume somebody else is interested, and act accordingly....offer more if its worth that much to you, get over there ASAP if its worth that much to you.

Which leads me to my third rule: the more money you offer the more crazy I'm willing to put up with. Can't low-ball me and expect me to deliver it, wait all weekend, etc. See rule #1.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
aiptasia
 
aiptasia's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,487
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts


White girl problems.

People are complete flakes on CL. Again, kegerators come up all the time, so keep watching the interwebz. Even if it's just for the component parts, you can make your own kegerator with the right sized mini fridge or drop freezer.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


I used to be more lenient on holding stuff and waiting on people, but now if I'm selling something, it's by my rules. First person with cash gets the deal. And you can come during the time that I'm home, not the other way around. I don't stay home for someone in the hops that he'll show up.

I've just had too many no-shows. One guy was wanting to buy a $50 tow-bar from me. He made 5 appointments to pick it up, and every time, he didn't. I quit replying to his emails and to his text msgs.

If I'm the buyer, I give the seller a phone call before I'm headed over, in case he sold it from underneath me.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Big_Blue
 
Big_Blue's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Camarillo, CA
Posts: 137
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
The assumption you are making is that a upon posting to CL, sits at home clicking the refresh button on his email every 2-3 seconds until he get a buyer on the hook.

As a seller of stuff on CL, I've got places to go too.
It's 2013. Get a phone with email capability.
__________________
“Write drunk; edit sober.” - EH
_______________________________
Carboy: OxyClean
Bucket 1: Base Blonde #1
Bucket 2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Bugbear Ale
Keg 2: waiting

SilverZero Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Big_Blue
 
Big_Blue's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Camarillo, CA
Posts: 137
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Maybe you should offered more, if it was worth that much to you (or you could have sold it for triple what you paid).
I offered $10 more, sight unseen. No much, but it's worth a bonus six pack. I think the might warrant waiting a full hour after "sometime after 3" begins. I was up and out at 7am and and would've gone after it if that time frame was given to me.

Quote:
My rules for selling on CL: assuming they are offering the same amount of $, whoever gets there first gets the deal. I don't always let them know there are other people interested, either. Just because I'm emailing you doesn't mean I'm ignoring all of the other emails from people expressing interest.

Which leads me to my second rule: If buying, always assume somebody else is interested, and act accordingly....offer more if its worth that much to you, get over there ASAP if its worth that much to you.

Which leads me to my third rule: the more money you offer the more crazy I'm willing to put up with. Can't low-ball me and expect me to deliver it, wait all weekend, etc. See rule #1.
I don't see where the crazy came into play here, or lowballing. What I'm describing may not have been entirely unwarranted, but it was a dick move nonetheless.

Just curious about your rules, how are you entertaining all these emails when you've got all these places to go?
__________________
“Write drunk; edit sober.” - EH
_______________________________
Carboy: OxyClean
Bucket 1: Base Blonde #1
Bucket 2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Bugbear Ale
Keg 2: waiting

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
I offered $10 more, sight unseen. No much, but it's worth a bonus six pack. I think the might warrant waiting a full hour after "sometime after 3" begins. I was up and out at 7am and and would've gone after it if that time frame was given to me.
See rule about low-ball... $10 on $150 for equipment being offered at a steal (you said it was worth triple what you were paying) would not have moved the needle for me at all, if I was the seller.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
Just curious about your rules, how are you entertaining all these emails when you've got all these places to go?
I'm not entertaining them...I pick one and go with it...ignore the rest (they'll figure you they aren't getting it). If there is alot of interest I will email 2-3 and tell them they are in line; make your best offer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
Big_Blue
 
Big_Blue's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Camarillo, CA
Posts: 137
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


More than one asked for is a boon, no matter how much more. Nearly everyone tries to lower the cost on Craigslist; you've sold, you know that. The triple worth factor comes into play if said item could have been fixed, which I was willing to do. If it wasn't, I was willing to break it down and sell everything off, which is work in and of itself, work that this guy was clearly not willing to do. Craigslist is a way to offload **** you don't need for what you figure is a fair price. If someone is willing to come pick up your ****, and toss you some extra bucks in the process, you can allot at least a 60 minute window, especially when you're the one narrowing it (and you've already all but confirmed an exact time via texts the night before). If that's too long for you, fine. You're still an impatient prick for thinking it.
__________________
“Write drunk; edit sober.” - EH
_______________________________
Carboy: OxyClean
Bucket 1: Base Blonde #1
Bucket 2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Bugbear Ale
Keg 2: waiting

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
More than one asked for is a boon, no matter how much more. Nearly everyone tries to lower the cost on Craigslist; you've sold, you know that. The triple worth factor comes into play if said item could have been fixed, which I was willing to do. If it wasn't, I was willing to break it down and sell everything off, which is work in and of itself, work that this guy was clearly not willing to do. Craigslist is a way to offload **** you don't need for what you figure is a fair price. If someone is willing to come pick up your ****, and toss you some extra bucks in the process, you can allot at least a 60 minute window, especially when you're the one narrowing it (and you've already all but confirmed an exact time via texts the night before). If that's too long for you, fine. You're still an impatient prick for thinking it.
meh...I may be a prick, but at least I have a kegerator.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recipe Etiquette pwkblue General Beer Discussion 97 11-09-2012 04:35 AM
Bottle Etiquette kitchensqueen Bottling/Kegging 22 05-25-2012 03:02 AM
Competition Etiquette jamesnsw General Beer Discussion 19 06-10-2009 12:34 AM
Brewing Etiquette Calvinfan1 General Beer Discussion 9 02-14-2008 04:15 AM


Forum Jump