Hi I just wired up my 50a home depot spa panel. Measured my voltage at the plug I installed and had 115v at each hot leg, good. But when I hit the "test" on the gfci I heard a pop and saw sparks fly inside the panel. The breaker remained on. The sparks spooked me so I shut everything off to see if this is a normal reaction or is something not right? It became a bit smelly too.
Smell as in burnt plastic? You did the right thing by turning off the breaker you shouldn't get any sparks or smells when you hit the test button on the gfci. Can you take a pic of the inside of the spa panel it would be easier to see if its wired up correct. If your not confident that your wiring is correct you may want to hire an electrician to double check your work.
Went and tested it again and nothing happens now, looks like the gfci burnt out! Did I wire it wrong? It looks fine to me
I'm going to have to try and get this replaced somehow at home depot even though I drilled holes in it already. Anyone can confirm the wiring was right before I try to fight this battle?
Well the pic looks like the breaker is triped the on position is the farthest position from the test button. To reset it you need to push the breaker all the way off then back on. Other then that it looks like its wired correct to me.