First brew sanitation question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew sanitation question
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Beck21
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8

So I made my first brew yesterday. I went with an extract kit from MoreBeer, the American IPA. Took my OG and wound up with 1.072 which I was very surprised at. Expected OG was 1.054-1.062. Anyway, poured in my yeast and placed it in the closet to ferment. Checked it last night and it was happily fermenting away. Stick on thermometer read at about 70, my house sits around between 66-68 so there's not much I can do about the temp. I didn't rig a blow off tube as I was just following directions and hadn't heard of that yet. So, to the problem. This morning I check on it and apparently the activity was so high throughout the night that it overflowed into the airlock. Nothing major, just a little spillage on the top, but I have wort in the airlock now. Should I empty that out, and resanitize or can I leave it the way it is. I figure the damage if any is already done. The airlock was sanitized inside and out prior to its installation.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
dickproenneke
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 265
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck21
So I made my first brew yesterday. I went with an extract kit from MoreBeer, the American IPA. Took my OG and wound up with 1.072 which I was very surprised at. Expected OG was 1.054-1.062. Anyway, poured in my yeast and placed it in the closet to ferment. Checked it last night and it was happily fermenting away. Stick on thermometer read at about 70, my house sits around between 66-68 so there's not much I can do about the temp. I didn't rig a blow off tube as I was just following directions and hadn't heard of that yet. So, to the problem. This morning I check on it and apparently the activity was so high throughout the night that it overflowed into the airlock. Nothing major, just a little spillage on the top, but I have wort in the airlock now. Should I empty that out, and resanitize or can I leave it the way it is. I figure the damage if any is already done. The airlock was sanitized inside and out prior to its installation.
If you dont have any tube laying around to make a blowoff then just pull out your airlock, clean, sanitize and put it back in. No harm done.

Cheers!


__________________
"I don't want these logs looking like a Boy Scout was turned loose on them with a dull hatchet" -DP
primary 1: Desert Sky's Bombshell Blonde Ale
primary 2: :(
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
nickybhoy
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Clean and sanitize and stick it back in bud, will be fine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Kaz
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Amish Country, PA
Posts: 1,054
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybhoy View Post
Clean and sanitize and stick it back in bud, will be fine
+1 And if you hit your final volume when you transferred to the fermenter, then your O.G. is going to be in the range specified by the kit. With extract there is not much hit and miss except for not adding enough water. The number will be high due to insufficient mixing of the concentrated wort and top off water. Enjoy!
__________________
Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Beck21
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8

I pretty much followed directions to the letter. Was a 5 gal recipe, cooked with 3 gal, then added water to top off to 5. Took OG reading from final mix. Not sure where I misstepped. Went ahead and pulled off airlock, cleaned and sanitized and put back on. Mix is still happily fermenting away.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Braufessor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Iowa, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Liked 790 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 717


It is highly likely that the reason the gravity was off is because the top off water was not thoroughly mixed in when you took the reading (which is no big deal). If there was 5 gallons of beer, your gravity was what was predicted. It is common for gravity readings to be "off" when putting water in to bring it up to 5 gallons.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Beck21
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor
It is highly likely that the reason the gravity was off is because the top off water was not thoroughly mixed in when you took the reading (which is no big deal). If there was 5 gallons of beer, your gravity was what was predicted. It is common for gravity readings to be "off" when putting water in to bring it up to 5 gallons.
Got it. That makes sense. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,496
Liked 598 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 9


Like everyone says, clean and replace the airlock, or remove it altogether and place foil over the hole. If you don't clean the airlock, it will get full of yeast and hops, become blocked and pressure will build up eventually resulting in the airlock becoming a projectile with a stream of beer coming out behind it.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building Cabinet For Brew Equipt - Sanitation Question shango Equipment/Sanitation 8 03-25-2013 01:25 PM
Pre-brew sanitation 0verdrive Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-17-2012 04:06 PM
Brew Rig Sanitation adamshifflett Equipment/Sanitation 2 12-12-2011 04:42 PM
Sanitation throughout brew process switters Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-12-2009 03:28 AM
Brew kettle spigot sanitation virginiahomebrew Equipment/Sanitation 9 09-11-2008 04:18 PM


Forum Jump