Festbier Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Festbier Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Ed - what psi are you keeping it at for those 2 months? And around what temp?
12 psi, 39 degrees.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Stupid question, why do you keep it on the gas for two months? Couldn't you just purge and leave it without co2 hooked up?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Mr. Awesome
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 86

Ed-
Big fan of your recipes.
What "style" of beer is this, as far as Beer Smith is concerned? I'm just trying to be organized.

I'm also going to have to brew this with Nottingham or something similar, my apartment is too warm! This is probably going to be the next beer I brew to make sure it's ready for the fall.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #14
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


It's an Oktoberfest. It is a European Amber lager recipe but with a Kolsch yeast. Notty might be interesting, but I would wait till you have cooler temps as this is a big beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
drunkatuw
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Rochester, MN
Posts: 624
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


I forgot to look at my inventory and now the LHBS is closed and I'm brewing tomorrow. I only have 10lbs of pilsner malt. Should I just brew with 10lbs instead of 11lbs (for 11 gal batch) or should I add 1lb of 2-row pale malt to make up the difference?

I went ahead and added an extra lb of 2-row. Shouldn't affect the recipe too much. Bringing the wort up to a boil now. This is my first time using victory malt, and I love the smell! I tasted a little bit of the grain and it reminded me of grape nuts cereal. Can't wait for this beer to age a little and taste it.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #16
trmacdonal
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 5

Hi, any chance someone could convert this recipe to a 5 gal extract? Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:25 AM   #17
ohiodad
 
ohiodad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Hilliard, OH
Posts: 250
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by trmacdonal View Post
Hi, any chance someone could convert this recipe to a 5 gal extract? Thanks!
Don't think you are going to have much luck at making anything like an oktoberfest even in ale form from extract... You would at least need to mash the munich I would think to get the maltiness...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
drunkatuw
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Rochester, MN
Posts: 624
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
I forgot to look at my inventory and now the LHBS is closed and I'm brewing tomorrow. I only have 10lbs of pilsner malt. Should I just brew with 10lbs instead of 11lbs (for 11 gal batch) or should I add 1lb of 2-row pale malt to make up the difference?

I went ahead and added an extra lb of 2-row. Shouldn't affect the recipe too much. Bringing the wort up to a boil now. This is my first time using victory malt, and I love the smell! I tasted a little bit of the grain and it reminded me of grape nuts cereal. Can't wait for this beer to age a little and taste it.
I finally got this on tap over the weekend and it doesn't taste anything like an oktoberfest. So I took a look at the recipe and it's 5.5lb of vienna and not victory. I guess that's what I get when I try to enter recipes into beersmith via a vnc session

The beer is still good, but very dark (victory is 25 SRM compared to 3.5 SRM for vienna). The taste is closer to porter with a strong toasted flavor.

Now I'll have to put this back on my list of beers to brew.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #19
kjones
 
kjones's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Upstate, SC
Posts: 253

edwort, could i just let this carbonated naturally an let it sit for in the fridge for two months bc i cant let one keg sit on gas for that long?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #20
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
edwort, could i just let this carbonated naturally an let it sit for in the fridge for two months bc i cant let one keg sit on gas for that long?
Once you let it sit on gas for a week or so at 12 psi, you can disconnect and leave it so you can carb another one. I have room for 12 kegs in my chest freezer, but can only carb 6 kegs at one time.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA EdWort Homebrew Ale Recipes 303 03-05-2016 06:57 PM
American IPA Bee Cave Brewery IPA EdWort Homebrew Ale Recipes 271 01-10-2016 02:07 AM
Man cave E-brewery dmcoates Electric Brewing 9 03-04-2013 05:06 PM
bee cave oktoberfest parti gyle? wickman6 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 09-03-2012 10:03 PM
bee cave brewery mr jones General Beer Discussion 7 03-20-2009 04:51 PM


Forum Jump