Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging - 5 Gallon Barrel and Cherries

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
frailn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Aging - 5 Gallon Barrel and Cherries

I'm thinking about purchasing a five gallon, recently emptied whiskey barrel. Brew up a barleywine or quad (not sure yet) and secondary in the barrel. But, I want to add cherries as well.

I understand that the barrel aging at this volume in this size barrel will probably be less than a month as to not over-oak the brew.

That leaves the question - will adding cherries to the barrel, and for only 2-3 weeks be enough time to impart cherry flavor? Or should I tertiary on cherries in my carboy for a longer period?

Any suggestions on the amount of cherries to use for a five gallon batch?

I'm going for some cherry flavor, not over the top. Maybe similar to Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Quad or something similar.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I would do a tertiary for this. I wouldn't want fruit in my barrel, since I would want to control precisely the amount of oak flavor imparted, and the same for the fruit flavor.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks! That is confirmation of what I was thinking.

I got the cherries-in-a-barrel concept into my head because that is what they do at Boulevard brewery. Or at least that is what the guide told us when I took the tour.

Tertiary does seem to make more sense for homebrewing and fine tuning the final product.