Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No sparge mash
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default No sparge mash

I am sure that the good folks here will be able to answer this question. I am going to switch to a no sparge method with tonights brew. I have figured the water volume I will need but not the strike temp. Seems to me since you are adding all the water as strike water you would not need to heat it as far above your target temp.

I am roughly doubling my normal strike water that I would head 10 degrees above my target temp. I am thinking since I double the mass of water I should halve the 10 degree buffer to heat the grain up. So for a 150 degree mash I think 155 for the strike water. If it is to low I can draw some off and boil it to bring it up and if it is to high a few ice cubes to bring it down.

Can I say whoot though once I figure out the new temps for NO SPARGE BREWING


Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
mloula
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Weston, WI
Posts: 33
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The only problem that I see with no sparge is that your efficiency will take a pretty big hit.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...rging_Analysis

Was just reading about batch sparging here and a little ways down the page is a chart on efficiency.


mloula is offline
MagicSmoker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Dynachrome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,943
Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default

What do you have for equipment? Are you not set up for sparging?

I'd do a couple quick sparges. I've messed with batch sparging a bit. Y'll get more fermetables.

At over 1000 posts you have probably learned a lot on this forum.

...maybe suggest reading the posts at the bottom of the page too.
__________________
I drink therefore I am.
Dynachrome is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

I figure I will lose a little bit but looking at that chart it seems that up to gravities around 1.040 will still hit 80%. When you get into the higher gravities that is where the efficiency really takes a hit. All of my beers I target for 1.040 so I think if I add another half pound of grain I should be fine
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
What do you have for equipment? Are you not set up for sparging?

I'd do a couple quick sparges. I've messed with batch sparging a bit. Y'll get more fermetables.

At over 1000 posts you have probably learned a lot on this forum.

...maybe suggest reading the posts at the bottom of the page too.
My first batch I fly sparged and then I have been batch sparging since. I am just to the point that a little hit is no big thing when I can sit back and drink more beer.
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 582
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman

My first batch I fly sparged and then I have been batch sparging since. I am just to the point that a little hit is no big thing when I can sit back and drink more beer.
I second this. Until I get my rig together, I'll drink while sparging.

So, back to no sparge. what is the disadvantage to having a thin mash in order to get full boil volume? OP said adding a half pound more to grain bill. I think much more will be needed. beer smith anyone?
HeavyKettleBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I second this. Until I get my rig together, I'll drink while sparging.

So, back to no sparge. what is the disadvantage to having a thin mash in order to get full boil volume? OP said adding a half pound more to grain bill. I think much more will be needed. beer smith anyone?
Well I will take notes but they will be pretty useless for the first one I think. I used my corona to grind some wheat for bread and when I changed it back for the barley I think I might have ground it to fine.

With a 9 pound grain bill a extra half pound is quite a bit I think.
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
dzlater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,073
Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
I am sure that the good folks here will be able to answer this question. I am going to switch to a no sparge method with tonights brew. I have figured the water volume I will need but not the strike temp. Seems to me since you are adding all the water as strike water you would not need to heat it as far above your target temp.

I am roughly doubling my normal strike water that I would head 10 degrees above my target temp. I am thinking since I double the mass of water I should halve the 10 degree buffer to heat the grain up. So for a 150 degree mash I think 155 for the strike water. If it is to low I can draw some off and boil it to bring it up and if it is to high a few ice cubes to bring it down.

Can I say whoot though once I figure out the new temps for NO SPARGE BREWING
Just figure it out how you do normally, but use the water to grist ratio that includes all the water,
dzlater is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

Well I halved the buffer temp and missed the mash temp by 2 degrees. Not a problem though I pulled a little bit of water and boiled it and added it.
Varmintman is offline
Dynachrome Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brulosopher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,868
Liked 293 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman
I figure I will lose a little bit but looking at that chart it seems that up to gravities around 1.040 will still hit 80%. When you get into the higher gravities that is where the efficiency really takes a hit. All of my beers I target for 1.040 so I think if I add another half pound of grain I should be fine
I no sparge often, it's all I do for smaller beers like Mild and Dry Stout. For those styles, 1.040 or less, efficiency won't take a huge it... but I've never been at 80%. I actually calculate my recipe at 70% for small beers, 65% for 1.050ish beers, then I won't no sparge anything bigger since its just as easy to batch sparge. The primary reason I use this method is to produce a more malty session beer, and I think it works very well!


__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott
Brulosopher is offline
Dynachrome Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mash Out with Single Sparge vs. No Mash Out with Double Sparge jeffdill All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 01-24-2013 06:29 AM
Noob Mash/sparge questions (partial mash) billpa Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 08-03-2011 06:41 PM
Mash pH and Full Volume / No Sparge Mash bigjoe General Techniques 16 11-20-2009 05:11 PM
mash out vs sparge Evan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 08-04-2008 05:05 PM
Mash out to fly sparge ? mtbaesl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 07-17-2008 10:23 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS