Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Warm weather brewing, any types good at higher temps?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
stikman33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Interesting! I didn't realize something like that would be that cheap. Maybe that is something that I could build. I am interested in doing a lager sometime and continuing to do ales in the summer time. I am sure I could find a spot in the garage to put one.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Yea....might as well bite the bullet and get a fridge or freezer with a temp controller. Fermenting that high is so limiting, it'll take the fun out of it.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Saison, Belgian Saison Activator Wyeast ACT3724 is good up to 90 deg, I use it all the time in summer, I ferment it at 85 deg, works great in the heat.

Cheers

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikman33 View Post
Interesting! I didn't realize something like that would be that cheap. Maybe that is something that I could build. I am interested in doing a lager sometime and continuing to do ales in the summer time. I am sure I could find a spot in the garage to put one.
Here's my cost breakdown for the one in my basement:

Upright freezer, Kenmore 3-4 years old, listed on Craigslist for $95------$70.00

STC-1000 controller on Amazon.com----------------------------------$24.39 (free shipping if order is over $25 or just plain free 2-day if you have Amazon Prime)

Wall outlet and plate at Lowes-------------------------------------about $3.50

I didn't buy a case to build either of my two controller boxes since I had stuff (like an old computer speaker casing) laying around that would serve the purpose. If you had to get one at RadioShack, they're about $7.