Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Making a starter

Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
henson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making a starter

I know this has been covered a lot but I'm still having trouble understanding until I actually do it. Two weeks ago I kegged a brown ale. I took the leftovers from my fermenter and added water. I gave it a swirl, put it in a sanitized jar, covered it, and put it in the fridge. I would like to make a nnew batch this

Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
henson
Recipes 

Sunday. I have some frozen wort. How did I get yeast out of this for my next brew without buying it?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

did you freeze what you had? or is the frozen wort seperate.

Put a 1.030 to 1.040 solution (100grams in water that is filled to 1L) Boil solution and sanatize vessel for starter. People use Eurlymer flasks becasue they can do heat. I've sanatized a 3L wine bottle and a pitcher for drinks and hand no issues, but then I'm crazy that way. Put the the starter wort (1L to 1.5L is a good size )
Take your left over yeast and basically let it settle, then pour off the water. there should be a little water with the yeast enough to get it into solution and put into your starter. cover starter vessel with foil. Agitate (shake) the vessel, or use a stir plate for improved results.

A lot of people will tell you to 'rinse' it. This removes the less desirable solids. Alternativly you can just pitch what you have. the risk there is that with a starter you can atleast check for viablity. I don't remember the details of rinsing though (also called washing, but techincally only a rinse).

I think a rinse is this
Agitate trub yeast.
let site 1/2 hour. Pour out/decant solution (it hsould look cloudy). Let it sit again, pour out top water.
Basically you are time/gravity sorting for the 'upper solid' layer. The first to settle is the least desireable, and the top is water/liquid and not yeast.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
norsk
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 43

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
henson
Recipes