sour cider - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > sour cider
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
ImBigTuna
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Thanks for the post you guys! I was worried! My first batch took 2 weeks. I had 6 gallons of apple juice from Costco, added 2 pounds of dark brown sugar. I added a cup of dark brown sugar before I bottled then and 6 gallons went quick. Everyone liked it.

Then I just did one the same way but with light brown sugar and it's cooler this time of the year. Does that make a deference? Because it's a bit sour.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts

Your gravity reading might be lower on this batch than the previous batch. Do you know the readings of both?

Dark brown sugar will probably add a touch more molasses or caramel flavor, but the fermentable part should still be the same.

It's also possible that the juice you used this time is a different blend or late season apples. I use costco juice also and it seems pretty consistent here in the South East.

ImBigTuna Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
hunter006
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Update on my sour cider..
After 2 weeks sitting in my shed.
Backsweetend with 2L apple juice
FG is still giving me 12%
Been sitting in fridge for 5 days
First proper glass tonight and WOW , this stuff has changed soo much, no sourness and can hardly taste the alcohol anymore !!
Could do with a fizz tho, I find that more refreshing.
What happens when using a soda stream..????

Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #24
Inner10
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
I have...there's plenty out there, but you won't find them at typical retail locations. Most of your super-dry champagne-style ciders will usually come from specialty wineries and cider houses.

There is a winery and ciderworks in Thurmond, NC that produces a WICKED dry cider. It's the blend of apples they use and letting it ferment completely dry.
I hear ya PP, I guess it's a regional thing, around here ciders aren't that popular and everyone is sickly sweet. The driest thing you will find in my town is Strongbow.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
ImBigTuna
Recipes 

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Your gravity reading might be lower on this batch than the previous batch. Do you know the readings of both?

Dark brown sugar will probably add a touch more molasses or caramel flavor, but the fermentable part should still be the same.

It's also possible that the juice you used this time is a different blend or late season apples. I use costco juice also and it seems pretty consistent here in the South East.
I don't know what my first batch was, because I was too eager and didn't have everything I should have. On the second batch, I showed SG at 1.09 on 2/14 and today 3/1 it is at 1.00. Right now when I tested it, it was super bubbly. On the air lock probably a bubble every 9 seconds.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts

The airlock activity is just CO2 coming out of solution. (Is 'off-gassing' a word?) You just pissed it off when you took the reading This happens to me quite a bit on my beers. Glad to hear the flavor has come back around for you!