Brewtroller on an Arduino Mega Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsap

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking to automate and a friend gave me a mega as a gift. I know that brewtroller can run on a mega and I've flashed firmware 2.4 onto the board. When I read the info coming off the serial I get a scrolling series of updates on the version and various temps and states of things which leads me to believe everything went smoothly up to that point. My issue is pin outs. I know the fast-pin library allows for 2560's but it has to be defined at some point and I don't know where. I also have tried several times to hook up an LCD screen and don't seem to be getting any data. The screen works with my other arduino so my best guess is that the firmware is looking for the wrong pins or doesn't see them. Any help?

This is interesting, where did you find the info on installing Brewtroller software on the Arduino. I am getting close to testing my system and if I cant get my custom code to work right I would be interested in using the brewtroller on my arduino Mega Im using

Hi Guys,
Looking to automate and a friend gave me a mega as a gift. I know that brewtroller can run on a mega and I've flashed firmware 2.4 onto the board. When I read the info coming off the serial I get a scrolling series of updates on the version and various temps and states of things which leads me to believe everything went smoothly up to that point. My issue is pin outs. I know the fast-pin library allows for 2560's but it has to be defined at some point and I don't know where. I also have tried several times to hook up an LCD screen and don't seem to be getting any data. The screen works with my other arduino so my best guess is that the firmware is looking for the wrong pins or doesn't see them. Any help?

HWProfile.h has many of the pin definitions.

HWProfile.h has many of the pin definitions.

Found that yesterday. This morning had a minor victory.

img0207rg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I"ll keep you guys updated as things go down and I struggle. Anyone who has help when I hit walls, It will be much appreciated.

I tried asking around on the OCSYS forums and they were somewhat helpful. There was a lot of talk about the difference between the boards and they seemed hesistant to encourage me. I've got plenty of filter IC's and optoisolators and whatnot around to solder up whatever I need. If all goes well maybe when this is all done we can get a good tutorial together.

...I tried asking around on the OCSYS forums and they were somewhat helpful. There was a lot of talk about the difference between the boards and they seemed hesistant to encourage me...

I am starting to think of doing the same thing - building a system from an Arduino Mega. And also was thinking the Brewtroller would be a good place to start with the code.
But in terms of having the information openly available I am struggling with this 9although it might be my half-ass searching :D), it was my understanding that the brewtroller was built of the Arduino plateform and open sourced. But it seems like there is a bit of propriotoriality going on with buying their boards/stuff. I understand that they have got into business and they should profit from therir investment of time and money. I thought the usual process of making money of Arduino was providing something good, yes you can copy it and make it yourself, but the retail market is aimed at those that like it and don't want to mess around soldering their own (which would also end up 10x larger) - I would guess for homebrewing that would be 95% of their customers.
Anyway I will end my rant :D

BT is open in that they provide all of their source code. They have customized their board a bit to improve performance but with the proper libraries you should be able to adapt their code to a Mega. I do believe their board is 128-bit and I'n not sure of the EEPROM memory differences. Their software is compiled with the Arduino IDE so I can't imagine porting it is too hard....it will take a lot of reading through the code and testing though.

BT is open in that they provide all of their source code. They have customized their board a bit to improve performance but with the proper libraries you should be able to adapt their code to a Mega. I do believe their board is 128-bit and I'n not sure of the EEPROM memory differences. Their software is compiled with the Arduino IDE so I can't imagine porting it is too hard....it will take a lot of reading through the code and testing though.

Yeah I think I found the source code digging around a bit more (like 10 more minutes :D).
I guess my point was if the hardware details were more open it might be easier to port (one thing OSCSYS might not really be keen on)
I'm looking at it that you can buy a $20 Mega board compared to what is basically a UNO for $65.
I guess it is like anything with Arduino - be cheap and do it yourself or pay and get a ready to use solution :D
My issue is the ready to use is lacking some stuff I want to use - flow measurement. My approach going forward is likely to be using the Brewtroller code as reference (and copy/paste to avoid large amounts of code writting :D). That is after I buy the Arduino :D

Hi,

I'm also interested to use Brewtroller on arduino mega. I have already the card and I wait about LCD screen with s2c interface to start to try...
nsap, could you explain the wiring and wich modification of the code you have done for your minor victory?
From wich version of brewtroller do you start?

Thanks,

Gilles
Belgium

Very useful, I have a MegaMini (atmega2560 board) from JK devices that I want to use for this.

Hey guys, sorry, long time no see. School got pretty intense but just finished my last exam. I'd love to work more on this, especially if anyone else want to collaborate. We could get a wiki going or something. For the mean time, If anyone is interested I was thinking of doing a screencap video going through what I'd found so far.

Have you looked at the code? It already supports Arduino Mega pin assignments, at least for the IO pins that are used on the oscsys boards. If you look at the hardware schematics you can try to match your inputs and outputs to the same pins.

HI,

I think I have all the appropriate libraries and the code but when I go to verify the code in Arduino loader it gives me an error saying"HLTVOL_APIN" was not defined in this scope.... What am i missing?

Thanks,

thanks for the help everyone. the hardware profile code did help with some of the errors and now it appears that "'LCD12C' does not name type." Any thoughts? I am going to post all the completed code with libraries when it is complete so that everyone else can avoid my issues.

Hi guys. I just got an update via email on this thread almost a year after I gave up on it. I'm really excited that people are still doing this. I stopped because the project was too much for me to do singlehandedly because of Law School. Someone suggested that we get the code up on GitHub. I strongly suggest that be done. Instead of everyone working individually if everyone throws in on the same copy of the code we could get a working batch of BrewMega code together for all of us and anyone who would want to use it in the future. Let's do this together.

The issue is setting up the inputs and outputs to match whichever *troller board you are trying to emulate. Once you have done that the code changes are pretty minor, just a few tweaks to HWprofile.h and possibly the FastPin library. So I suggest to download that free version of Eagle, design a shield based on the schematics published on the Oscsys site, and then worry about the code.

Personally I had a ET-AVR 128 stamp knocking about and decided to use that instead. It is cheap ($23 from Futurlec) and has more than 50 IO pins, in a form factor which is more amenable to breadboard/stripboard than the Arduino Mega. If you don't already have an AVR programmer you need to get one (you can use an Arduino for this) because the stamp doesn't have a USB port or come with a boot loader pre-installed. I needed to write some code in the FastPin library to support this chip which took all of about half an hour. I'm happy to share if anybody is interested.

For the shield I used a big piece of stripboard. I threw on optocoupled digital inputs and RC filtered analogue inputs, a DS2482 onewire bus driver, and RS485 interface chip similar to the *troller schematics. I deviated slightly on the outputs, going with logic level MOSFETs and a ULN2803A relay driver. I had to put the DS2482 on a SOIC8 breakout board but everything else was possible using easy through hole soldering. At some point I'll post the details, not that I really envisage anybody wanting to copy exactly what I did, but just to show that it is possible.

Hi guys. I just got an update via email on this thread almost a year after I gave up on it. I'm really excited that people are still doing this. I stopped because the project was too much for me to do singlehandedly because of Law School. Someone suggested that we get the code up on GitHub. I strongly suggest that be done. Instead of everyone working individually if everyone throws in on the same copy of the code we could get a working batch of BrewMega code together for all of us and anyone who would want to use it in the future. Let's do this together.

I absolutely agree. There are already some great codes in progress on Github, but a fully complete tutorial on how to flash brew trollers code onto a RPI, or BBB would be nice.

I absolutely agree. There are already some great codes in progress on Github, but a fully complete tutorial on how to flash brew trollers code onto a RPI, or BBB would be nice.

RPi and BB are both Linux. BrewTroller is for Arduino type microcontrollers - different beast.

If you're interested in going the linux route the TeensyPi project is a good jumping off point.

Got it. Saw the teensy pie was originally based off of an arduino/RPI mashup. I thought they used the same OS and language. Which set up would you recommend if a person is wanting to learn to code?

I'm still a bit new to Arduino but I'd like to get in on this. I like the idea of setting up a wiki. I know websites and would be willing to set up a website dedicated to this project. I have always been a bit disappointed with the display on the brewtroller, no disrespect to its creator, it is a great product. I would like to try and modify the code to use a 3.3" touch screen interface instead of the small LCD with encoder. Just an idea....

Got it. Saw the teensy pie was originally based off of an arduino/RPI mashup. I thought they used the same OS and language. Which set up would you recommend if a person is wanting to learn to code?

If you don't already have the hardware you could do worse than buy the least expensive BrewTroller board, install the latest BrewTroller software, and take it from there.

If you already have an RPi, Arduino or whatever, then use what you have. :)

After hours of research I am going to go with the RPI built into an arduino. I'm curious to know if you could be running the modified brew troller off of the arduino, and then if you need more functionality building extras off of either end. There is a lot of great work out there already that is free and available for both systems.

As for touch screens there is a 134 dollar plug in play that is roughly 10 inches. I can't remember the name. It shows up when googling RPI touchscreen.

alien said:
Check out BrewPi, you might want to take a look at the shield/case/software/documentation.

I don't fully understand BrewPi... Sorry, like I said I'm a bit new. Can I get a basic explanation please. The website assumes you know what it is ...

Not Sure why people are mentioning BrewPi and TeensyPi in this...both of those are fermentation controllers for a fridge, or fermenting temperatures in general.

BrewTroller as i understand it is an automation system for running a RIMS/HERMS/Direct Fire system during the actual brew process.

That said i run BrewPi and its amazing, i recommend it for anyone with a fridge the graphs i get to track the temp are amazing.

There is a really interesting kick starter called 1sheeld. A custom shield that integrated with your android phone. It can use the entire functionality as plug and play.

Not Sure why people are mentioning BrewPi and TeensyPi in this...both of those are fermentation controllers for a fridge, or fermenting temperatures in general.

BrewTroller as i understand it is an automation system for running a RIMS/HERMS/Direct Fire system during the actual brew process.

That said i run BrewPi and its amazing, i recommend it for anyone with a fridge the graphs i get to track the temp are amazing.

I've seen so many of these projects that they are starting to blend together. I've seen people using a teensypi like set up where you are using both RPI and arduino. People are also using those as standalone devices. Throw in BBB on top of that and you have a lot of options for automation. What I haven't seen is a unified consensus as to which system is better, or even which open source code program has the most potential.

True, but

1. They are useful projects in their own right.
2. The integration between RPi and microcontroller is instructive given that people are asking about good hardware combinations.
3. The software is easily adaptable to mashing.
4. You can learn a lot from the documentation, plus the authors of both systems are available on this forum to talk to.

Hi guys. I was able to get the brewtroller running on my Arduino Mega 2560 by simply following the directions on the Brewtroller website. The one problem I ran into was that I was upgrading the . Pde and the brewtroller code will not run on 1.05. Once I made some pin changes the board is up and running. I will set up the encoder and temp sensors and repost. My goal is to run it with brewtroller live via the Ethernet module.

E

Guys, quick question on brewtrolller cause I'm too lazy to go look it up... can it handle electric brewing?
Ive got a couple of spare 2560's I could press into service at least to see if it's where I want to go

Hi guys. I was able to get the brewtroller running on my Arduino Mega 2560 by simply following the directions on the Brewtroller website. The one problem I ran into was that I was upgrading the . Pde and the brewtroller code will not run on 1.05. Once I made some pin changes the board is up and running. I will set up the encoder and temp sensors and repost. My goal is to run it with brewtroller live via the Ethernet module.

E

Congrats for getting it up and running. It would be very helpful for folks here if you could post how to do it step by step. Maybe start a new thread once you've got it all set up.
:ban:

I use the OpenTroller BX for brewing. I also have a Teensypi setup that monitors my cold boxes. I have recently found a new connector (www.launchpad.net/mysql-arduino) that allows an Arduino to directly access MySQL databases via ethernet or wireless. This allows you to store anything that the Arduino does directly to a database located on ANY computer (including a Raspberry Pi). As soon as my wifi shield arrives, I will start experimenting with this. I also plan to try the Ethernet shield for the BT (with a wifi dongle), it would be really nice to capture the BrewTroller stuff in a database.

Any luck getting your ethernet shield running on your Arduino with the Brewtroller Code? I made some pin changes in hardware profile to free up pin 4 but all I get is "Missing Config" on my troller screen.

If you change the layout you have to patch the code, because the FastPin library only works for a subset of the pins.

Latest posts

Back