Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Brewtroller on an Arduino Mega Help

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
nsap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brewtroller on an Arduino Mega Help

Hi Guys,
Looking to automate and a friend gave me a mega as a gift. I know that brewtroller can run on a mega and I've flashed firmware 2.4 onto the board. When I read the info coming off the serial I get a scrolling series of updates on the version and various temps and states of things which leads me to believe everything went smoothly up to that point. My issue is pin outs. I know the fast-pin library allows for 2560's but it has to be defined at some point and I don't know where. I also have tried several times to hook up an LCD screen and don't seem to be getting any data. The screen works with my other arduino so my best guess is that the firmware is looking for the wrong pins or doesn't see them. Any help?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is interesting, where did you find the info on installing Brewtroller software on the Arduino. I am getting close to testing my system and if I cant get my custom code to work right I would be interested in using the brewtroller on my arduino Mega Im using

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Subbed. Also interested in how to do this

Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsap View Post
Hi Guys,
Looking to automate and a friend gave me a mega as a gift. I know that brewtroller can run on a mega and I've flashed firmware 2.4 onto the board. When I read the info coming off the serial I get a scrolling series of updates on the version and various temps and states of things which leads me to believe everything went smoothly up to that point. My issue is pin outs. I know the fast-pin library allows for 2560's but it has to be defined at some point and I don't know where. I also have tried several times to hook up an LCD screen and don't seem to be getting any data. The screen works with my other arduino so my best guess is that the firmware is looking for the wrong pins or doesn't see them. Any help?
HWProfile.h has many of the pin definitions.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
nsap
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
HWProfile.h has many of the pin definitions.
Found that yesterday. This morning had a minor victory.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I"ll keep you guys updated as things go down and I struggle. Anyone who has help when I hit walls, It will be much appreciated.

I tried asking around on the OCSYS forums and they were somewhat helpful. There was a lot of talk about the difference between the boards and they seemed hesistant to encourage me. I've got plenty of filter IC's and optoisolators and whatnot around to solder up whatever I need. If all goes well maybe when this is all done we can get a good tutorial together.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the update, keep us posted

Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsap View Post
...I tried asking around on the OCSYS forums and they were somewhat helpful. There was a lot of talk about the difference between the boards and they seemed hesistant to encourage me...
I am starting to think of doing the same thing - building a system from an Arduino Mega. And also was thinking the Brewtroller would be a good place to start with the code.
But in terms of having the information openly available I am struggling with this 9although it might be my half-ass searching ), it was my understanding that the brewtroller was built of the Arduino plateform and open sourced. But it seems like there is a bit of propriotoriality going on with buying their boards/stuff. I understand that they have got into business and they should profit from therir investment of time and money. I thought the usual process of making money of Arduino was providing something good, yes you can copy it and make it yourself, but the retail market is aimed at those that like it and don't want to mess around soldering their own (which would also end up 10x larger) - I would guess for homebrewing that would be 95% of their customers.
Anyway I will end my rant

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

BT is open in that they provide all of their source code. They have customized their board a bit to improve performance but with the proper libraries you should be able to adapt their code to a Mega. I do believe their board is 128-bit and I'n not sure of the EEPROM memory differences. Their software is compiled with the Arduino IDE so I can't imagine porting it is too hard....it will take a lot of reading through the code and testing though.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
BT is open in that they provide all of their source code. They have customized their board a bit to improve performance but with the proper libraries you should be able to adapt their code to a Mega. I do believe their board is 128-bit and I'n not sure of the EEPROM memory differences. Their software is compiled with the Arduino IDE so I can't imagine porting it is too hard....it will take a lot of reading through the code and testing though.
Yeah I think I found the source code digging around a bit more (like 10 more minutes ).
I guess my point was if the hardware details were more open it might be easier to port (one thing OSCSYS might not really be keen on)
I'm looking at it that you can buy a $20 Mega board compared to what is basically a UNO for $65.
I guess it is like anything with Arduino - be cheap and do it yourself or pay and get a ready to use solution
My issue is the ready to use is lacking some stuff I want to use - flow measurement. My approach going forward is likely to be using the Brewtroller code as reference (and copy/paste to avoid large amounts of code writting ). That is after I buy the Arduino

Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
gozos
Recipes 

Hi,

I'm also interested to use Brewtroller on arduino mega. I have already the card and I wait about LCD screen with s2c interface to start to try...
nsap, could you explain the wiring and wich modification of the code you have done for your minor victory?
From wich version of brewtroller do you start?

Thanks,

Gilles
Belgium