HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > small cracks minor scratches in auto syphon/racking cane

Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default small cracks minor scratches in auto syphon/racking cane

I have an auto syphon only been used a few times and i noticed that it has some small cracks and scratches..Does this mean its trashed?..How likely would it be for a racking cane/auto syphon in this condition to infect a batch?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you clean it well in a hot PBW solution and use a properly mixed batch of Star-San you will probably be fine for a while. The acrylic plastic that is used for the auto-siphons tends to develop those micro cracks in hot water. Its not really a problem as I have had my auto-siphon for several years with micro cracks in it and I have not had an infected batch yet :knock on wood:. If it really bothers you, get a new one as they aren't very expensive. I do wish that they were made with a better plastic.
Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by worxman02 View Post
If you clean it well in a hot PBW solution and use a properly mixed batch of Star-San you will probably be fine for a while. The acrylic plastic that is used for the auto-siphons tends to develop those micro cracks in hot water. Its not really a problem as I have had my auto-siphon for several years with micro cracks in it and I have not had an infected batch yet :knock on wood:. If it really bothers you, get a new one as they aren't very expensive. I do wish that they were made with a better plastic.
Yeah its some delicate plastic..Im gonna make a copper autosyphon and buy the SS racking cane..suprised they make a SS racking cane but no SS auto syphon to go with it..frickn weird..any thanks for the input