High gravity beer with Danstar Windsor Yeast? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High gravity beer with Danstar Windsor Yeast?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 1,514
Liked 102 Times on 93 Posts



Ok so I tried to cut the caribou slobber recipe from NB in half so I could use my mr beer LBK, my other fermenters are full. I ended up with a high OG (1.076) and pitched the recommended yeast for the style of beer. After doing research on this yeast I am regretting using it. I can already smell the fruity estery flavors coming from my LBK. I have a feeling this beer will be too sweet and not drinkable to my liking because the FG will finish high. My question is, if the FG is too high and I don't like the flavor can I pitch some US-05 or 04 to finish it off? Will that mess up the flavors even more?


__________________
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,577
Liked 619 Times on 542 Posts


You used Windsor. Probably end up around 1.020 to 1.025. Way too sweet for me.

You can try pitching another yeast to bring it down some more, but it is a hostile environment for yeast once alcohol is in it. Unfortunately the flavors will already be set by the Windsor. Neither S-04 or S-05 will affect the flavors of the main yeast.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 1,514
Liked 102 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
You used Windsor. Probably end up around 1.020 to 1.025. Way too sweet for me.

You can try pitching another yeast to bring it down some more, but it is a hostile environment for yeast once alcohol is in it. Unfortunately the flavors will already be set by the Windsor. Neither S-04 or S-05 will affect the flavors of the main yeast.
I was afraid of that. I didn't mean to have that high of gravity. I thought cutting the recipe in half would still end up in the anticipated gravity range.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
BigFloyd
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Tyler, Texas
Posts: 5,268
Liked 759 Times on 652 Posts


What temp are you fermenting it at?

I've got a Windsor batch (AG 1.052 English Northern) going right now. After getting as much info as I could about Windsor, I decided to run it at 67* measured on the side of the bucket.

It does have a reputation for taking off quickly and being quite vigorous during the first few days. True dat. My bucket temp was 7 degrees higher than the air inside my freezer/ferm chamber when it was really rockin.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 1,514
Liked 102 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
What temp are you fermenting it at?

I've got a Windsor batch (AG 1.052 English Northern) going right now. After getting as much info as I could about Windsor, I decided to run it at 67* measured on the side of the bucket.

It does have a reputation for taking off quickly and being quite vigorous during the first few days. True dat. My bucket temp was 7 degrees higher than the air inside my freezer/ferm chamber when it was really rockin.
Ambient is 66-68 degrees but I think the beer is well over 70 because its fermenting like crazy right now.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 1,514
Liked 102 Times on 93 Posts


Bump...

If fermentation doesn't finish out and the gravity is too high can I add yeast nutrients?
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
masterfool101
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 272
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts


Yeast nutrients won't help you. They are usually there to help the yeast build better cell walls at the start of fermentation . . . they'll have nothing to do with helping the yeast complete fermentation once primary has finished.
__________________
Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 1,514
Liked 102 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfool101 View Post
Yeast nutrients won't help you. They are usually there to help the yeast build better cell walls at the start of fermentation . . . they'll have nothing to do with helping the yeast complete fermentation once primary has finished.
What if primary fermentation is not completed yet?
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
dylanphelan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
, Cape Town
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Hi

I just brewed a stout and used Windsor yeast.

they say that fermentation 'can' finish after 3 days. It's been 9 days now and gravity is at 1.030

SG was 1.062

I thought it would have been done by now.

I pitched at 18C and raised temps gradually to 21C over a few days.

Has anybody seen similar numbers with this yeast?
__________________
Conditioning 1: Amarillo/Simcoe IPA
Conditioning 2: Citra IPA
Primary 1: Amber Ale
Primary 2: South African Pale Ale - The Rusty Nipple

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,577
Liked 619 Times on 542 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanphelan View Post
Hi

I just brewed a stout and used Windsor yeast.

they say that fermentation 'can' finish after 3 days. It's been 9 days now and gravity is at 1.030

SG was 1.062

I thought it would have been done by now.

I pitched at 18C and raised temps gradually to 21C over a few days.

Has anybody seen similar numbers with this yeast?
You may be done. Windsor is a low attenuator ~65%, but if you have a lot of unfermentables in there, it can be less than that.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Danstar Windsor ale yeast (dried) TD1001 Fermentation & Yeast 12 05-15-2014 09:06 PM
Danstar Windsor Yeast zimman Fermentation & Yeast 3 01-21-2013 02:56 AM
Danstar Windsor high finishing gravity andycr General Beer Discussion 11 11-18-2012 11:27 PM
Danstar Windsor Yeast - Never Again jjones17 Fermentation & Yeast 9 02-05-2010 09:16 PM
WLP001 or danstar windsor ale yeast paul Fermentation & Yeast 1 12-22-2009 06:57 PM


Forum Jump