Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What would this make as far as type of beer?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

What is your intended batch size?

Assuming you get 70% efficiency, I'd say you're going to end up with about 37ppg * 5lbs * 70% = ~130 points. How many gallons of beer are you trying to make? 3 gallons would give you an OG around 1.043. 4 gallons would be 1.032, which is the upper end of a Berliner Weiss or the lower end of an Ordinary Bitter. 5 gallons is 1.026, which is even lower than Berliner Weiss, the lowest gravity beer style that people typically drink nowadays.

Also, you didn't mention anything about hops, so unless you're planning some kind of gruit or perhaps a sour (not likely given the yeast selection) you'll probably need that. If you turn it into a bitter (it will lack a bit of depth) you ought to use some English or English-derived hops like Goldings, Fuggles, or Willamette. Your yeast would probably work OK for that style.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
jflongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
What is your intended batch size?

Assuming you get 70% efficiency, I'd say you're going to end up with about 37ppg * 5lbs * 70% = ~130 points. How many gallons of beer are you trying to make? 3 gallons would give you an OG around 1.043. 4 gallons would be 1.032, which is the upper end of a Berliner Weiss or the lower end of an Ordinary Bitter. 5 gallons is 1.026, which is even lower than Berliner Weiss, the lowest gravity beer style that people typically drink nowadays.

Also, you didn't mention anything about hops, so unless you're planning some kind of gruit or perhaps a sour (not likely given the yeast selection) you'll probably need that. If you turn it into a bitter (it will lack a bit of depth) you ought to use some English or English-derived hops like Goldings, Fuggles, or Willamette. Your yeast would probably work OK for that style.
I mentioned batch size, you may have missed it, going for about 2.5 gallons. I did mentioned I am OUT of hops.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You posted that after I started composing my own post. 2.5 gallons will put you around 1.052 OG.

I think you should look for some kind of hops, or something else to bitter the beer with, especially if you are going to go that high on the OG.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
jflongo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
You posted that after I started composing my own post. 2.5 gallons will put you around 1.052 OG.

I think you should look for some kind of hops, or something else to bitter the beer with, especially if you are going to go that high on the OG.
Ok, I need to explain this again This is what I have, just trying to be a little creative and brew a beer with what I have. I won't be going to a lhbs store for a bit, so just though I would use what I have.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I have 5lbs of 2-row left over from my last recipe and is crushed already.

What would this make

BIAB - 5 lbs 2-row

Mash in at 168 in 2 gallons of water, hold at 153 for 60 min

Let it drain, place bag in 170 degree water for 15 minutes, let drain, and then add to main pot.

Boil for 60 min, cool down, and pitch in Irish Ale yeast.

Just curious what kind of beer this would make, do you think it would be any good. This is what I have at my house right now.

Only other thinks I have is corn sugar, dme, and ginger root.
Totally making this up and is based on not much substance besides how I _think_ it could turn out

2.5 gallon batch
boil time 60-90 minutes (tasting along the way to check on bitter level)
4.5 lb 2row
0.5 lb light toasted 2row (300 for 15-20 min)
mashed at 150F for 60 minutes (up the fermentables, lighten the body)
White pith of 1 whole orange for full boil (save zest for later)
1 chamomile tea bag (3 minutes) (if you don't have it don't add it)
0.1 oz ground coriander (5 minutes) (if you don't have it don't add it)
zest of 1 orange (1 minute)
1 Tbsp grated ginger (1 minute)

If at 30 minutes you still don't have reasonable bitter, add another 1/2 orange peel to boil.

Ferment in the low 60s for clean crisp; mid 60s for some fruitiness; upper 60s for more fruitiness
I'd go with 64 to get a little from the yeast but not too much.

Bottle/keg with 3.0-3.3 carbonation units.

I envision a barely-spicy, citrusy, bubbly, mellow bitter beer with light body with just a hint of biscuit/toast. A real drinker that still comes in at 5.5-6% and sneaks up on you when you're on your second glass.

Then again it may turn out like dogcrap. Regardless, I'm interested in what you finally do and how it turns out. Have fun with it!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
jflongo
Recipes 

Not sure if i have any oranges i'll look. I have some tea bags, need to check what kind, i may have some herb lemon ones.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
Not sure if i have any oranges i'll look. I have some tea bags, need to check what kind, i may have some herb lemon ones.
Lemon or grapefruit would work as well

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

you could try a sour mash and do something similar to a berlinerweiss without the weiss

they are hardly hopped/bittered

Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Kluge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think your best bet for bittering is the ginger. There are recipes here for ginger beer, but they seem to use more ginger than you're talking about. It's an interesting challenge.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
jflongo
Recipes 

I can up the ginger to 3 Tblsp.

So at 60 minutes
1 tblsp dried ginger
The peels from 2 small oranges that have been zested

with 10 minutes left
1/2 the orange zest
1 tblsp dried ginger
irish moss

3 minutes left
4 lemon herb tea bags for 3 minutes, then take them out and the orange peels
1/2 orange zest
1 tblsp ginger

cool down, and then pitch my irish ale 1/2 L starter

This will only be a 2 - 2 1/2 gallon batch, i'll let it ferment for 7 days at 68 - 70 degress and then take a reading on it and sample it If i fill i need more ginger, maybe i could dump a few more tblsp in a 3 gallon container, and rack into that for another week.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if it turns out like, but will be elated if it turns out well, cool thing about home brewing. Unfortunately, i may have to wait until Monday to try this, the weekend is a little busy.