Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Horribly long primary ferment

Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default Horribly long primary ferment

I am trying to cut back on the beer but still wanted a quick turnaround brew so I had something to drink every few weeks while all my big batches age etc. yada yada yada.

I picked up 10 of those cheap fruit punch concentrates from the store and did a 5 gallon batch using some brown sugar and honey to take the OG up to only about 1.055 and then pitched montrachet. The plan was to do like a 2-3 week primary and then bottle carb for a week and hopefully get something fairly low abv and drinkable... like a wine cooler or something.

Here we are 4 weeks later and its still bubbling... what the? I don't want to bottle it because its still putting off enough gas that I am guaranteed bottle bombs if I do. I haven't really had anything vigorously bubble for more than 2-3 weeks. Heck, I started a new banana wine just 2 weeks ago and its ready to move to secondary already. I can't figure out whats up with this brew and I want that primary vessel back!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Slow ferment can be due to low nutrients, low temp, ph, lack of oxygen, alcohol tolerance of yeast etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If your concentrate had any kind of preservatives in it that could retard the fermentation process.