Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gravity reading
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gravity reading

Pretty stupid question im sure of it just dont want to make any mistakes, i think my beer is done fermenting but want to take a couple gravity readings to make sure, please tell me the correct way to do so. Thanks again, just my first batch ever brewed.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Liked 121 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 21

remove some of your brew and check it with a hydrometer. make sure to sanitize what ever you use to remove it and dont put tested beer back in fermenter. do this a few time over a couple of days if it stays the same its done

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Pretty easy dude, whether u use a turkey baster or a wine thief, simply sanitize it first, pull a sample large enough to float the hydrometer and take the reading...drink the sample, don't return it to the fermenter.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Liked 178 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Step 1: Sanitize. If you have a spray bottle with starsan, then use that to spray the rim of the bucket/carboy. If you don't have starsan, I've read posts where people use vodka in their spray bottle.
Step 2: open your fermenter.
Step 3: Use a sanitized wine thief/ turkey baster(spray with your solution) to withdraw a sample of your yummy beer. Usually you need about 2 oz. to fill the tube the hydrometer came in(or a graduated cylinder if you have one). Close your fermenter.
Step 4: Add your hydrometer to the tube. There's usually foam on top, so set it somewhere to warm up and let the foam dissipate.
Step 5: After 10 minutes or so, give the hydrometer a spin so any bubbles on it clear off. Read the hydrometer at the meniscus( the bottom of the air/liquid interface).I've found a good light source behind the tube and reading glasses help!
Step 6: Have a sip of your beer. It won't taste exactly like it will eventually, but it gives you an idea. Don't pour it back into the fermenter.