Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Base malts/grains for a generic IPA

Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
jageraholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Base malts/grains for a generic IPA

So I was hoping to start playing with different single hops in an IPA to figure out what flavors I like more and create my own recipe. I was wondering is there base malts and grains that will be good for a lot of different hops that I can use repeatedly rather than changing the malt/grain profile with every different IPA? I am definitely a west coast, highly hopped fan like Stone IPA or even better Ruination, or a citrusy/flowery hop fan like Flower Power and Lagunitas Sucks. Not much for a balanced IPA like Two Hearted.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
jageraholic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention I'm an extract brewer for now. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

American 2-row is the cleanest base malt choice that will allow the hops to pop in a West Coast American IPA.

Pilsener malt is also quite clean, but different tasting, and more associated with Lagers.

If you want to have a little more malt taste, you could go with English 2-row, but not the heavier selections like 100% Maris Otter. You could even mix American and English 2-row for a hybrid base. If this is the case, you could use about a 1/3 of Maris Otter or Golden Promise, with the rest being American 2-row.

For extract brewers, go with Extra Light DME or Pilsen DME... either Briess or Muntons. You could even add <10% Wheat DME for some interesting complexity.

When brewing, be sure to add 1/2 or 2/3 of your DME at flameout (instead of all of it at boil start) with 10-13% corn sugar for further attenuation to combat the sluggish fermentability of the extract and be more West Coast.

Light Crystal (10-40L) or Honey malt can be used in small percentages (<6%) for added toasty caramel and/or honey notes.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
jageraholic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, looks like a good start.