Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Using Blowoff Tube to Harvest Yeast @ High Krausen

Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
mandobud16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Using Blowoff Tube to Harvest Yeast @ High Krausen

Hello people! I am currently brewing an english mild that is a little over 24 hrs. into fermentation. I'm brewing an oatmeal stout tomorrow, and would like to harvest some of the 1968 from the mild tonight to pitch tomorrow. I currently have a blowoff tube rigged (3/16) to the fermenter containing the mild. I'm wondering if I lower the blowoff tube into the krausen, would there be enough force to blow some of the yeast off into a container? Should I try this, or should I go ahead and use the beer thief method? Also, should I make a small starter for the yeast to keep fermenting overnight? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks

Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Unbeknownst to most people, collecting the blow off from a fermenting beer is not the same as top cropping and is not good brewing practice. Real top cropping involves removing the first 'dirt' or krausen - which contains weak or dead yeast, trub, and bitter compounds - and then waiting until the second (high) krausen to harvest. Ideally, you want to wait until the beer is just over 50% attenuated. This ensures you are harvesting the cleanest and most active yeast that share the same characteristics of the first generation.

With that said, wy1968 is not a good yeast for top cropping as it flocculates too fast and doesn't retain a top layer of yeast. Your best bet would be to wait until the fermentation is done to repitch some slurry or use another yeast.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
mandobud16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

alright thanks for the feedback... I'll head by my LBS tomorrow and pick up some fresh yeast. Thanks for the input!