Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Blow off tube help
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
MathiasMicrobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 192
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

I brewed up a 5 gal batch of AG Oatmeal Stout and my primary 8gal bucket was tied up and used my 6.5gal glass carboy. My 3 piece airlock was on my bucket fementer and I just used my S style airlock.

I came home from work to find my airlock and bung on the floor and had a nice mess. I made an improv blow off tube in some star san and it worked great.

My question is now that the main fermentation is over, should I put my S style airlock back on or wld the tube be ok for the duration? I was gonna let it sit for 3 weeks then bottle. Never had to use a blow off tube and I didn't know if it was just for the start of fermentation.

Thanks in advance!


MathiasMicrobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasMicrobrew View Post
I brewed up a 5 gal batch of AG Oatmeal Stout and my primary 8gal bucket was tied up and used my 6.5gal glass carboy. My 3 piece airlock was on my bucket fementer and I just used my S style airlock.

I came home from work to find my airlock and bung on the floor and had a nice mess. I made an improv blow off tube in some star san and it worked great.

My question is now that the main fermentation is over, should I put my S style airlock back on or wld the tube be ok for the duration? I was gonna let it sit for 3 weeks then bottle. Never had to use a blow off tube and I didn't know if it was just for the start of fermentation.

Thanks in advance!
I had a similar question / problem... I used a small tube in where my 3 piece airlock fit... It's a nice tight fit but I don't know if I should swap the tube back to the airlock once things have died down a bit.... I am brewing wheat beer and it's quite a vigorous fermentation

Sorry to latch on to your thread but we have the same question


Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Jrbetz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post

I had a similar question / problem... I used a small tube in where my 3 piece airlock fit... It's a nice tight fit but I don't know if I should swap the tube back to the airlock once things have died down a bit.... I am brewing wheat beer and it's quite a vigorous fermentation

Sorry to latch on to your thread but we have the same question
I had that problem as well and I used the tube just like you explained. I also switched over to a airlock when initial fermentation stopped. Worked fine for me, but of course sanitize sanitize sanitize!
Jrbetz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
MathiasMicrobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 192
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post

I had a similar question / problem... I used a small tube in where my 3 piece airlock fit... It's a nice tight fit but I don't know if I should swap the tube back to the airlock once things have died down a bit.... I am brewing wheat beer and it's quite a vigorous fermentation

Sorry to latch on to your thread but we have the same question
No worries! We r in the same boat lol I'm just gonna leave my tube on until I'm rdy to bottle this coming weekend. I know its probably holding back more co2 than the 3 piece wld but I don't see that affecting the sweet deliciousness inside.
MathiasMicrobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasMicrobrew View Post

No worries! We r in the same boat lol I'm just gonna leave my tube on until I'm rdy to bottle this coming weekend. I know its probably holding back more co2 than the 3 piece wld but I don't see that affecting the sweet deliciousness inside.
My fermentation has died down to a bubble every second or just a bit more frequent. The krausen has stopped coming through the blow off tube... I will probably leave it this way until I move to a secondary in just another two days
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #6
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,140
Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2750

Default

You can leave the blow off tube for the duration if you want, or you can put an air lock back on when it settles down. Either method will work just fine.


__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...

Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blow off tube..or blow off tube then airlock. BeerEngineer11 Fermentation & Yeast 10 06-06-2012 04:27 AM
Blow Off Tube Rogue14 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 11-08-2011 05:21 AM
1in Blow off tube? jwheelz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 12-13-2010 08:58 PM
Blow off tube BrettMan General Beer Discussion 8 01-22-2007 05:55 AM
Blow off tube skradleybrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-12-2007 03:24 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS