The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,516
Liked 7369 Times on 5209 Posts


Generally, the diacetyl rest is done when the beer is 75% of the way to FG, or usually about 1.020. So it's definitely ok to do it now.

I let it sit until it's completely finished (usually 24 hours once it gets to 65 degrees), and then taste for diacetyl. If there is none, I rack and lager. If there is any hint at all of diacetyl, I extend the diacetyl rest.

It's not always necessary to do a diacetyl rest, but until you're comfortable with the process and how diacetyl tastes, it's fine to do one as a matter of course.

There are those who cannot detect diacetyl at all- they just are genetically unable to. But some can detect diactetyl in very small amounts. As a tip, in small amounts diacetyl is more of a slick feeling on the tongue, or oily. It feels like it's coating your teeth a little. If you don't do the diacetyl rest then, it will get worse and can be a butterbomb after lagering. So do one if you're unsure!


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bulls Beers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Posts: 3,241
Liked 162 Times on 124 Posts


Hey Yooper, I'm gonna do Kai's Helles recipe. On his hop additions, what amount is 0.2g/l?


__________________
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #23
mccumath
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Idaho
Posts: 1,008
Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Generally, the diacetyl rest is done when the beer is 75% of the way to FG, or usually about 1.020. So it's definitely ok to do it now.

I let it sit until it's completely finished (usually 24 hours once it gets to 65 degrees), and then taste for diacetyl. If there is none, I rack and lager. If there is any hint at all of diacetyl, I extend the diacetyl rest.

It's not always necessary to do a diacetyl rest, but until you're comfortable with the process and how diacetyl tastes, it's fine to do one as a matter of course.

There are those who cannot detect diacetyl at all- they just are genetically unable to. But some can detect diactetyl in very small amounts. As a tip, in small amounts diacetyl is more of a slick feeling on the tongue, or oily. It feels like it's coating your teeth a little. If you don't do the diacetyl rest then, it will get worse and can be a butterbomb after lagering. So do one if you're unsure!
Awesome! Thanks for the info! It is warming up now, and I will leave it for a day or so at around 65 degrees, rack, then into the fridge again to lager for a month or two. Did taste a little like corn, but considering the recipe called for flaked corn, I should expect it. Did not taste buttery at all that I was aware of. Did not think it had an oily "feel" to it either, but I was not necessarily looking for it. Oh well, what can a few days at a higher temperature hurt? Will hope for the best!
__________________
Put it all in the primary, and let the BeerGods sort it out

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bulls Beers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Posts: 3,241
Liked 162 Times on 124 Posts


Does it make a difference when you start the lagering, to either drop the temp to 32 slowly by 2-3 degrees or cold crash it down? I usually drop the temp slow. It's takes about a week to get it to lagering temps.
__________________
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
Darwin18
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Garner, NC
Posts: 5,339
Liked 952 Times on 668 Posts


I usually transfer to the keg to carb and lager at the same time. Haven't noticed any problems by moving directly to lagering temperatures.
__________________
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
chessking
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Aurora, Co
Posts: 391
Liked 113 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Does it make a difference when you start the lagering, to either drop the temp to 32 slowly by 2-3 degrees or cold crash it down? I usually drop the temp slow. It's takes about a week to get it to lagering temps.
John Palmer claims it is best to slowly drop the temp, in order to keep the yeast interested on the way down. That being said, I cold crash as my fermentation chamber is usually occupied with the next batch, so my only option is to keg and stick in the keggerator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Darwin18
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Garner, NC
Posts: 5,339
Liked 952 Times on 668 Posts


Agree with you Chessking. I take a lot of what Palmer claims with a grain of salt - he knows quite a bit about brewing but he is not the final word!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bulls Beers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Posts: 3,241
Liked 162 Times on 124 Posts


I've always dropped the temp 2 or 3 degrees until I hit 32, but I have a Bo dunkel that I'm going drop much faster. I just can't get to the point where I crash to lager temps.
__________________
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
chessking
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Aurora, Co
Posts: 391
Liked 113 Times on 77 Posts


Yeah, he (John) will get you in the neighborhood, and then its up to you. In a perfect world I'd have a dedicated lagering chamber and could try it out to see if there was a difference, but SWMBO is quite adamant that my current collection of refrigerators is big enough.

Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #30
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bulls Beers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Posts: 3,241
Liked 162 Times on 124 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
Yeah, he (John) will get you in the neighborhood, and then its up to you. In a perfect world I'd have a dedicated lagering chamber and could try it out to see if there was a difference, but SWMBO is quite adamant that my current collection of refrigerators is big enough.
Ha, Mine is a space issue. I have a chest freezer for fermenting and one for lagering. My lagering freezer only holds 4 kegs. I need a bigger freezer.


__________________
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelob Original Lager Homercidal Commercial Brew Discussion 8 02-02-2011 08:11 PM
Michelob Original Lager a good pop-top bottle kansasbrew Bottling/Kegging 2 04-14-2010 11:58 AM
1795 Original Czech Lager Dark Marius General Beer Discussion 2 06-03-2009 05:03 PM


Forum Jump