Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding more vanilla beans

Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
brewmadness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow. I added 2 scraped vanilla beans to my porter and I thought THAT was a little overpowering on the vanilla flavor. I can't imagine 6. Were they old?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
RIC0
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmadness View Post
Wow. I added 2 scraped vanilla beans to my porter and I thought THAT was a little overpowering on the vanilla flavor. I can't imagine 6. Were they old?
Were's the I'm with stupid smiley?? No offense Brewmadness...

I agree, I have a vanilla oatmeal stout and I put one whole bean split into a secondary for 2 weeks and it's not over powering to drink just a hint of vanilla.

Might wanna freeze it and make vanilla beer ice cream outa that batch...

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
FuzzeWuzze
DIY King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 29

6 Beans seems outrageous...i put 2 beans in a 1.060 Porter and within 3 days it was super strong...i just left them in my keg in a bag the entire time the keg was going(probably 1.5 months?) ...the vanilla started to fade after a month but there was no doubt it was in there...i cant imagine 6 beans...

Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Last night I actually had my first taste of a vanilla porter I made and it was fantastic. I used 6 beans to 5 gallons in secondary, no pre-soak or anything. I sampled at bottling and couldn't taste anything at all, but after 1 month in the bottle the vanilla flavor came out strong and delicious. You might just try bottling it and see if it comes out with age.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
FuzzeWuzze
DIY King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Where are people getting these beans that require 6? Are they tiny or something?

It blows my mind that 6 doesnt just taste like drinking pure vanilla extract, even 2 in my 5 gallon porter bordered on overpowering.

Reminds me of the people who toss a "handful" of cloves into their cider and end up with a trainwreck that will never taste good