Gettig ill off homebrew - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gettig ill off homebrew

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
adamdillabo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 373
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts



A friend came over this weekend and had a stout I made. Before finishing his stomach was upset. Spent some time on the can and threw up all Sunday. No one else has gotten sick. I'm drinking one now. Bottles were reused but washed after pouring and sanitized in a dish washer. Can something like that happen in 30 mins

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
adamdillabo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 373
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts


Girl friend had the same symptoms early last week. Now I have people accusing me of brewing bad beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
GoCrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 36
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Did he drink the yeast layer from the bottle conditioning process? Were you drinking straight from the bottle? Give us some more info.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 555 Times on 391 Posts


It's not the homebrew. Sounds like this thing called the flu that's going around.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,418
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts


It's possible to get an upset stomach from anything- if he's intolerant of certain foods, then it'd be possible. Like if I'm allergic to shellfish, I could get very sick and even die from eating even a small amount. Or if I'm lactose intolerant, ingesting lactose could give me an upset stomach.

But no, he didn't develop gastrointestinal illness from your homebrew. He had a bug of some kinds.

I've heard of a few people who drank really young sediment-filled beer (really yeasty) get diarrhea when they overdid it, though. But it was much later, like the next day, and not within minutes.

Even food poisoning (which is NOT what happened here, but as an example only!) takes about 24 hours to show symptoms. So whatever he had was in his system for a while, at least a day or so, unless he's allergic to beer.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

trujunglist Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
masterfool101
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 272
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts


I'm far from a medical expert . . .

I've never heard of something like this happening with homebrew . . . doesn't mean it can't happen. Usually, if a batch goes bad, it's the batch, and not just one or two bottles. If you drank the same beer, and others have had it without effect, then I don't know what to say.

It's also unlikely that any food poisoning occurs as fast as 30 minutes. . . but then, maybe it wasn't a common food bug.

It may have something to do with something else they ate. Could also be a flu bug or something similar.

Not saying it wasn't the beer . .. just that it doesn't seem like the likely culprit to me.
__________________
Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
adamdillabo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 373
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts


We poured into glasses. He didn't follow my instructions and got my yeast then I did.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,197
Liked 488 Times on 394 Posts


Yeah sounds like flu, or maybe he got food poisoning from something else. What did he eat? From what I understand food poisoning can show up relatively quickly (30 minutes). And anecdotally, I have gotten sick from food poisoning within 30 minutes or so before...I stopped eating at my college's food court after that incident, in fact.


It's possible there was something wrong with just that one bottle. e.g. maybe it had some cleanser/sanitizer still in there, which in sufficient quantities could give you some stomach troubles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
adamdillabo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 373
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts


My= more*

He's my best friend and it sucks knowing he won't trust my beer anymore

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
LLBeanJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Windsor, CO
Posts: 2,630
Liked 591 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
It's not the homebrew. Sounds like this thing called the flu that's going around.
I agree. There's a lot of novovirus going around right now. I'd say it's most likely a coincidence that he became ill after drinking one of your brews.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The five things old homebrew me would pass to new homebrew me: Blackfoot26 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 01-26-2015 05:39 AM
Had my first homebrew. CatHead Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-10-2012 12:50 PM
November 3, Learn to Homebrew Day- Seacoast Homebrew Club BrewinBigD North East Homebrew Forum 0 11-02-2012 10:16 PM
MSG in homebrew Hockeyhunter99 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-02-2011 11:18 PM
Metro Detroit "Learn to Homebrew/ Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day" @ Cap N Cork Revvy Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 9 11-07-2010 05:48 PM


Forum Jump