Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Retrofit Bayou S14 with natural gas chinese wok burner?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Cynapse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Retrofit Bayou S14 with natural gas chinese wok burner?

I have a Bayou Classic S14 burner. It works pretty well, but I have a natural gas line in my backyard I'd love to put to use. I hear the chinese wok burners like this put out a lot of heat: http://www.cpapc.com/23-Tip-Round-No...-P469C244.aspx

I'd prefer to retrofit in a natural gas burner rather than drill out the orifice in the S14. Has anyone tried this before, or think of a reason why it wouldn't work?

I'm not sure how the wok burners attach but my only concern would be how to secure it to the base of the S14.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
whatdyisit
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Why just buy the natural gas orifice for the Bayou Classic burner? That way you could always switch back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post
I think Pliny is the anal sex of beer.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Cynapse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you referring to something like this? http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRI...LVE-P2214.aspx

I wasn't sure if the above was only for Hurricanes. I looked on Bayou's website but didn't immediately see anything for a generic or S14.

I did not ice it looks like they sell the NG wok burners directly on their site. I may try calling them to see if they know the answer to my original question if they can be retrofitted. http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/619...jet-burner.htm

Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Cynapse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any know about my question above?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't have the wok burner, but have retrofitted a BG14 on natural gas to a stand originally for an SP10. I just used 1" flat stock cold-rolled steel and bolted it to the shroud on the stand. My point is, it doesn't take much engineering to mount one a burner to a stand. It appears from a quick googling that most people mount wok burners by the hard pipe which feeds them.
From my understanding you cannot simply replace the orifice of a multi-tip jet burner as with Hurricane and other burners with a disc valve as the air control. Multi-tip models draw air for each nozzle individually as opposed to near the orifice, disc-style.

The Hurricane/ BG14 burners use a larger O.D. orifice (3/8" pipe, I think) while the smaller burners (SQ14, SP10) use 1/4" pipe...again, I think that's the dimension. The I.D. of both is the same and equally drillable to NG specs, though. Kyle