Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The best/fastest chillers... on Earth?!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
NivekD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Don't forget ambient temp, whether the chiller is being stirred or static and surface area of the liquid being cooled...hmmmm, where's our thermodynamic engineer?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivekD
Don't forget ambient temp, whether the chiller is being stirred or static and surface area of the liquid being cooled...hmmmm, where's our thermodynamic engineer?
Yeah, where is s/he?!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #23
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just heard from JaDeD regarding optimal flow rate: the higher your flow rate, the faster your wort will chill. Period. They've done tests.

Either way, my 50' x 1/2" IC is on the way... detailed review to come!

List of exBEERiments

Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #24
Photopilot
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I just heard from JaDeD regarding optimal flow rate: the higher your flow rate, the faster your wort will chill. Period. They've done tests.
I guess that is true but at what cost to your water bill. There is a cost/benefit or at least a water time ratio to factor in. If you look on the plate chiller sight they have a ratio of plate sizes to water flow to wort flow to water used chart.

The chiller tested is bad @ss though. You can see the 5 gallon bucket is filled in around 1min 45 sec. With that in mind it takes less than 15 gallons of waste water to cool 5 gallons. Pretty impressive. I am wondering if they are using a prechiller if not what is the temp of the tap water?

I wish I could see in detail how 3 chillers are plumbed in together. I have my 2 coils joined together to make on long loop but the exit water comes out at the wort temp. I would like to separate my two coils to make two separate ICs working together, with a 3rd as a prechiller with ice. It would be nice to get my wort cooled in under 10 minutes then let remove the ICs. Whirlpool and let my trub and cold break settle and then drain from the sides of my keggle. This could solve a few problems I am having, cooling time and clarity into the fermenter.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #25
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photopilot
The chiller tested is bad @ss though. You can see the 5 gallon bucket is filled in around 1min 45 sec. With that in mind it takes less than 15 gallons of waste water to cool 5 gallons. Pretty impressive. I am wondering if they are using a prechiller if not what is the temp of the tap water?
No pre-chiller, just 58F water from a garden hose, full blast while constantly moving the chiller... my new procedure

List of exBEERiments

Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #26
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So...have you used it yet? Did you learn anything about JaDeD's innovatively designed CFC's?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I saw these on eBay about 6 months ago - but with no seller identification that led me to find any "real" information about the product. Thanks for posting this.

I'm not really sure what conclusion I draw from their information... Anything that requires me to physically shake the chiller around seems like a pain in my butt. Guess I'll have to look into building a wort stirrer for that issue.

They have numerous different models, but I don't exactly see "the point" of any one of them EXCEPT for the Hydra (makes sense, three separate water runs of shorter distances, combined with a single in/out) and the Cyclone CFC (Makes sense, change the traditional round CFC into a hybrid design that, by being trumpet shaped sort-of, allows you to clean it.

None of them leap out at me as "THE" choice. It's all about which benefit you want to maximize, it would appear.

Problem is, I want to maximize ALL the variables. No, I'm serious. I want ultra-fast chilling, low water usage, non-intrusive format, the whole nine yards. And I want it for cheap, too. I'm the classic Picky Customer.
Until "The Right Chiller" finally comes along, I'm going to keep praying that my 30' CFC doesn't start giving me infections again. You should have seen the crud that came out after I did the oxy-clean soak and one-hour pump recirculation on that thing.

Anyways. I'm rambling again. "Get off my lawn" and such. Where was I? Right. Thanks again for posting the link to the seller, I hadn't heard of him at all until you posted this. I'm not going to make a purchase immediately, but I *WILL* think about it a bit longer, and do a little more research into all of these different approaches they are taking.

Edit: I kind of like the Talos, now that I look a lot more carefully.... that might be a good option for those of us with wide-body 60 Qt stock pots.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
Brulosopher Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Chriso...Yea, I'm torn too...IC's are so simple/straightforward. I like that and have nice cold Maine well water. Talos would inhibit whirlpooling while chilling. So I like Hydra too.
I sure hope someone invents your dream chiller...you and I are alike in our shopping desires!