Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > What size cone is needed for conical?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
steber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default What size cone is needed for conical?

I'm doing a conceptual design for homemade conical. My plan is to take an old pony keg (the taller/skinnier style) and fashion a stainless steel cone and TIG weld it to the bottom of the keg. Kind of like what yuri did, just with a smaller keg. This should give me ~8 gallons of fermenting space, depending on the cone.

My question is what is the slant height needed for proper yeast drop of a conical? This obviously would determine my perpendicular height. I figure I can plug the numbers in, run it through a 3 piece roller and butt weld the seam. From there I could tack on a dump valve and a drain valve.

As stated this is a concept idea. I got the keg, and a source for some stainless, and means of obtaining the tools. So I might run with it if I can get all the details hammered out.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Proper angle is 60* for a conical fermenter.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 344

60 is indeed the standard. Theoretically, you could just have a cone if you wanted. It would make for a cool looking fermentor, if not particularly space-conscious.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
steber
Recipes 

Yeah, a total cone would NOT be beneficial to me, I don't think it'd fit in my ferm chamber. Wow, I'm really going to have to sharpen up on my trig/geometry because I'm drawing a blank for the formula to calculate slant angle. Is 60 the minimal? Anything above 60 will work I'm guessing, within reason?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
steber
Recipes 

After I roll the cone I plan on welding a nipple to the bottom so I can attach a 1 inch ball valve.
This will allow me to keep my cost down for now with a cheaper ball valve until I can afford a 3 piece sharpie ball valve

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nipple-1WZP5_AS01.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	99314