Comparing wines and bubbles/frothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talross

Reaction score
So this is my first time making wine. I'm using my great grandmother's recipe and no kit, but with Mom's help(she's made wine before). Right now, I'm brewing two different wines.

The first is one gallon of half grape half strawberry wine. This wine is consistently frothy, and I can see the fruit slowly bubbling, but I rarely see a bubble from the bottom. It starts bubbling and crackling when stirred. (7 days old. Acted the same over its life.)

The second is a two gallon half grape and half apple. This batch isn't frothy, but it bubbles like a freshly opened soda, and you can really hear it just standing in the kitchen. This one REALLY froths up when stirred, but the froth dies back down after some time. (4 days old. Acted the same over its life.)

We used the same yeast for both, but the strawberry wine has more sugar per gallon.

They both seem like they're doing well, but I'm really curious about the difference. Are they both acting normally? Does one need some attention?

Strawberry wine:
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/Talross/wine4_zps303a0887.jpg

Apple wine(before being stirred):
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/Talross/wine5_zpse5112c5e.jpg

No, they are both doing fine, and are normal. As you get more experience you will find that many variables come in to play. Yeast being #1--they all do not ferment the same. Some are fast and furious, some are furious, some are slow going-calm-quiet. Then your fruit choices, nutrients, acidity, pH, must temperature--all of it has an impact.
Just be sure to punch down your fruit cap twice a day as you stir. If you have a plate that fits inside the glass jar (I use those jars too) and can cover the fruit and submerge it somewhat you can opt to do that too, but not a necessity.
I love recipes from generations past, so if you are able to share your recipes please post them. Thanks in advance.

Enjoy! Sara

Thank you very much!

It being a family recipe, I would have to ask my mother and grandmother, but if they don't mind then I don't see why not. :)

Back