Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BYO Belgian IPA recipe - notes 2 yeast

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default BYO Belgian IPA recipe - notes 2 yeast

Hey guys,
I am looking to make a Belgian IPA next week and I want to follow the Belgian IPA recipe that was posted on page #41 on BYO in the October 2012 issue. In the ingredients it list both US-05 and WLP500. Why does it list both? Pitch both at the same time? It does not include an "or". I have WLP530 already washed, so I'm going to use that regardless. The recipes O.G. for the recipe is 1.064

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
WesleyS
Are you actually reading this?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3546 Times on 2363 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Read the article. Specifically under the subtitle "Why Not A Belgian Twist?"
It's explained.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Chris7687
Recipes 

Wesley - Thanks for the heads up. Read the article a while ago and forgot that I read that before.

Two questions after re-reading the passage #1) It mentions I need soft water and per his test 35 to 45 IBU's. For the soft water part, I usually get RO water from a Glacier machine and add 1 tsp of Gypsum and 1 tsp of Calcium Chloride. Will that take care of the water for a Belgium? I tried plugging it into EZ Water Calculator and it seems to be fine pH-wise. Also, 35 to 45 IBU's is more of a pale ale to me, should I keep it around that and just dry hop 3-4 ounces to boost it full of aroma since it will have to age for a while. Which leads me to #2) When dry hopping in two stages, as the author and Bob Peak recommend, should I remove the first hops that have dry hopped for 1 week already or leave them in the beer as I dry hop the 2nd hop?

Very excited to try this. New to Belgium's and I am a huge fan of IPAs. My first Belgium is still aging, at 3 months now and will be bottling to begin a 2-3 month bottle age in the next 3-4 weeks.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Bassaholic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was wondering if either of you could inform me about the article a little but more. I don't have access to it, but I have a Belgian ipa in my fermenter and I used wyeast Ardennes in it. I was just wondering why they said to stray away from Belgian yeast strains. I've sampled it a few times after gravity readings, but it was pretty tasty. I did notice that it was less hoppy than I was expecting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassaholic View Post
I was wondering if either of you could inform me about the article a little but more. I don't have access to it, but I have a Belgian ipa in my fermenter and I used wyeast Ardennes in it. I was just wondering why they said to stray away from Belgian yeast strains. I've sampled it a few times after gravity readings, but it was pretty tasty. I did notice that it was less hoppy than I was expecting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
It would be hard to make a "Belgian IPA" without a Belgian yeast, IMO. If it's not hoppy enough, add more hops.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Bassaholic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon

It would be hard to make a "Belgian IPA" without a Belgian yeast, IMO. If it's not hoppy enough, add more hops.
That's exactly what I was thinking. My understanding of the style was an IPA fermented with a Belgian strain of yeast. The hops were apparent, but the yeast flavors were just a bit stronger. I have it dry hopping now so that should take care of that issue.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Chris7687
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassaholic View Post
Bassaholic - Sorry if you misread my posting, but I never mentioned anything about "stay(ing) away from Belgian yest strains". The ingredients listing list both US-05 and WLP500 (or any Belgian yeast depending on the Belgian style, in my opinion). The reason the author says to use the two strains are as follows. The author "added a neutral ale yeast after cooling the wort followed by a Belgian strain as soon as the fermentation was active" This is because "the Belgian tradition is generally a necessary background to the fruity yeast used". Obviously. He really doesn't go to far into the reason for the nuetral yeast though. I believe he wants it there to add some of the IPA yeast flavors to the beer as well. I am going to try both and see how it goes. How long are you planning on aging in primary and bottle conditioning your BIPA?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Bassaholic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No worries, I was just a little confused, but I guess that technique would make sense. I would think it might result in a drier beer tho. I was planning on trying one after two weeks in the bottle and see how it's progressed. I noticed a huge difference in flavor between my two gravity readings and it already tastes quite good flat and warm. I have a feeling that aging it too long will diminish the hop flavor, but ill probably just keep sampling them along the way and keep a sixer in the closet for a while.