Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First timer and my wine seems a little watered down...

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I admit I've never used Montrachet yeast either. Is it a strain that kills off taste like EC-1118 tends to?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
RedBearded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for everyone's input! So I ran to the store and got 4 pounds of strawberries (minus about 6 of them I couldn't resist eating) (when I tasted it earlier, I definitely tasted more kiwi than strawberry). I took 4 cups out of the wine and mixed it with the 4 pounds of strawberries and 2 cups of sugar. I then added it back into the wine. We will see in a couple of weeks when I rack off the new strawberries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4015025859.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	99069
All the new strawberries cut up before a "mashed" them with a potato smasher.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3871654820.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	99070
Everything in the carboy.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBearded
Thanks for everyone's input! So I ran to the store and got 4 pounds of strawberries (minus about 6 of them I couldn't resist eating) (when I tasted it earlier, I definitely tasted more kiwi than strawberry). I took 4 cups out of the wine and mixed it with the 4 pounds of strawberries and 2 cups of sugar. I then added it back into the wine. We will see in a couple of weeks when I rack off the new strawberries.

All the new strawberries cut up before a "mashed" them with a potato smasher.

Everything in the carboy.
Ok, how do you intend to "punch down the cap"?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
RedBearded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Punch down the cap"? Sorry, I'm new to all of this and don't know what that means...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
RedBearded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer
Yes, my first strawberry wine is fermenting now. I chose to use four lbs of strawberrys as well, but the added Kiwis I would Think make up the difference? Maybe 8 kiwi per gallon is less 'poundage' than I think it is...

Was there a pound ammount to the kiwis from the OP?
I never actually checked the actual weight of the kiwis. At first I was taking off the skin and taking out the core, then the core became to much. So about have of them just had the skin removed. It definitely had more of a kiwi taste though when I tried it. That's why I used all strawberries to try to bring out the flavor.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBearded
"Punch down the cap"? Sorry, I'm new to all of this and don't know what that means...
When you ferment fruit, you need to submerge it twice a day. Use a food grade bucket, covered with a towel.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #17
RedBearded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I read a bunch of stuff on using fruit. Some people liked to keep it submerged, but I also read that the gases put off as it's fermenting keep it from spoiling/molding as it keeps all of the oxygen out... What would it change if I kept it submerged?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You will get better flavor/fermentables extraction from moving the fruit around. Since you have it in a PET bottle, i'd reccomend just swirling it enough to submerge the fruit a few times per day.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
13astrand
Recipes 

4lb per gallon is what you needed. Kiwi is quite flavourless too. I just made mine with strawberries but adding the Kiwis wouldn't have made much difference in flavour. Definitely usenext time 4lb per gallon. So 12lb for a three gallon batch. That's why strawberry wine is quite an expensive wine to produce. Unless you have your own field that is :-)

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
RedBearded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13astrand
4lb per gallon is what you needed. Kiwi is quite flavourless too. I just made mine with strawberries but adding the Kiwis wouldn't have made much difference in flavour. Definitely usenext time 4lb per gallon. So 12lb for a three gallon batch. That's why strawberry wine is quite an expensive wine to produce. Unless you have your own field that is :-)
I did taste mostly kiwi when I tasted it, but 24 kiwis is a lot (at least to me)... Strawberries are on sale here (Clarksville, TN) at Publix, and they are still good and fresh (coming out of FL). They are 2 lbs for $5.00. That's why I decided to do some strawberry wine. I will have to try all strawberries next time and see how it turns out. Thanks for your input.