Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Looking to start cheesemaking

Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Looking to start cheesemaking

Since I make homemade beer, wine, cider and mead and also have a decent garden, I figure this would be my next logical step. Any suggestions on good online shops to get a good starter kit? I like blue cheese, soft runny cheese and regular soft cheese.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would suggest a book; I got Ricki Carrolls Home Cheesemaking. There is at least as much going on with cheesemaking as with brewing and trying to pick it up from a few recipe descriptions might not be enough for you. As for kits, most of the kits are kinda pointless. The one I got was just a mold, a thermometer, some rennet and a few cultures. You might as well just buy what you need. As for your cheese preferences, blue cheese and runny cheese are some of the more difficult ones. I'd suggest some soft cheeses first. A few weeks ago I made a soft cheese called gervais that turned out fantastic and was much easier then hard, runny, or moldy cheese.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I found a deal through Groupon or LivingSocial a month or so ago for a kit from Standing Stone Farms. It was some chemicals, cloth, and info/recipe booklet. I see a real book in my future. They are a goat farm in Tennessee. I made with first mozzarella today and am trying a traditional ricotta with the whey. They provided the baby step I needed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1208979025.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	101671   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2861340860.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	101672