Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > do you HAVE to remove labels?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #21
CallMeZoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I sometimes put about half of my batch in bottles without removing the labels--I just stick my own label on top or just use a sharpie on the cap. This is for personal consumption and for friends who come around a lot.

I'll bottle the other half of the batch in unlabeled bottles--sometimes new bottles that I buy from the brewshop, and make them all neat and presentable for guests, gifts, etc.

chris.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #22
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I like to remove the labels for a few reasons - first, because it's my beer, not someone else's that is occupying the bottle, and I sometimes like to make my own labels. Second, because label glue tends to gum up my sanitizing solution after a bit. And lastly, I usually run my empty bottles through the dishwasher before putting them away for a lengthy period of time, and the labels make a mess of it (yes, yes, now argue away about Jet Dry and the fact that the dishwasher doesn't reach the inside of the bottles...I'm well aware...).

Try Guinness Draught bottles - the curvy ones with black labels. The plastic labels have no glue - just run a razor blade down the side and they practically fall off. A pair of pliers makes short work of removing the widget, and you have a nice looking bottle for re-use.
+1 on all of that! I take the time to remove the labels because I don't want soggy paper following them around everywhere and I prefer the clean look. I just soak 10 bottles or so in a kitchen sink full of hot soapy water. LEave them for an hour or two and most labels slip right off. The exception is foiled or metallic paper labels like on Tecate 32oz or Young's 22oz bottles. They take longer, but still come off easily when they're waterlogged.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #23
firepunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah, i'm soaking pacifico bottles right now that were given to me. The take lot of elbow grease to get the bottle nice and clean. Its work but you can't beat free. I don't even have to go around collecting them. Once friends heard i was brewing they started saving me bottles, I'll repay them with homebrew of course.

"Who could possibly need 5 gallons of beer?" -swmbo in reference to me buying a homebrew kit.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #24
adx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 4 Posts

I did 2 cases of bottles last night. I usually get about 15 or 16 into one of those big plastic containers with 6 or 7 gallons of hot water and half a scoop of Oxyclean. Let them sit for about an hour and then they fall off.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM   #25
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have spent many a happy hour standing at the sink scrubbing bottles.
They just look a lot better when they are nice and clean. Makes the beer taste better! You only have to do this the once. I have been making some big beers recently that are being cellared for 12 months which is forcing me to increase my bottle collection.
btw Getting 2 kegs next week!!! Got fridge already, cannot wait to keg.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 11-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #26
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What about Heineken bottles, the newer ones with the stinkin' plastic label that won't soak off. Anyone have a decent way of removin' these things? A friend I recruited to save me bottles from a bar has been giving me a bunch of these, and I'm feeling like it'd be kind of bad to just toss 'em since my friend went to the all effort of saving them and delivering them to me. I know the green bottles aren't good for beer, but I figured if I could find a semi-easy way of getting the labels off I could use theses things for Apfelwein.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 11-27-2007, 03:19 AM   #27
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Heinies have a petroleum adhesive now, not the old gummed labels that many breweries still use. If it won't peel off cleanly, you're in for a lot of work and probably solvent usage to remove them....if you choose to remove them.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #28
mr_cad

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I rinse my bottles after drinking the beer and set them aside until I have about 12 bottles. Fill the sink with hot water and a bit of Oxyclean and let them soak overnight. Usually the labels just fall right off and a little rubbing while rinsing them takes off the rest of the adhesive. If a label is stubborn I let it soak again with the next batch of bottles. I found that doing 12 at a time takes little time and makes the job seem smaller.

Also I make sure to rinse the bottles well after a long soak in oxyclean. If you read the instructions on the box it says to rinse with cool water which seems to work better.
(1 Timothy 5:23) . . .Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #29
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

An overnight soak in just about anything and a scouring pad will make quick work of a batch of bottles.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #30
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Removing labels from Bells bottles sucks!!! Especially that tricky label on the back of the bottle. Damn thing just doesnt want to come off!!!!!