Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > do you HAVE to remove labels?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Alamo_Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I just soak 1 bottle at a time in a pitcher of oxyclean....that way it's not a case or 2 to worry about.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On my first bottling day I figured I'd just scrub the labels off 50 bottles and get everything done in a few hours. WRONG!

Now I mix a weak-ish few gallons of Oxy-Clean and let a dozen bottles soak for about a day. They're upright and filled with tap water, so I don't worry about rinsing. I'll have enough bottles for a batch done in no time with about 20 minutes of work each day.

Oxy-Clean does a great job with every 12-oz. label I've used, with the local Carolina Brewing Company being the easiest. They use less glue on their labels and they fall off in a few hours. For some reason though, every 22 I've de-labeled has been a huge hassle. They're all laminated, some better than others.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 703 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I like to remove the labels for a few reasons - first, because it's my beer, not someone else's that is occupying the bottle, and I sometimes like to make my own labels. Second, because label glue tends to gum up my sanitizing solution after a bit. And lastly, I usually run my empty bottles through the dishwasher before putting them away for a lengthy period of time, and the labels make a mess of it (yes, yes, now argue away about Jet Dry and the fact that the dishwasher doesn't reach the inside of the bottles...I'm well aware...).

Try Guinness Draught bottles - the curvy ones with black labels. The plastic labels have no glue - just run a razor blade down the side and they practically fall off. A pair of pliers makes short work of removing the widget, and you have a nice looking bottle for re-use.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcahey's Brewing
I leave them on as well. I had heard that trying to get the labels off why soaking them could leach some of the label glue into the bottle, which would screw up bottling. I can't confirm it, only heard it.
I did this once right before bottling and I had to dump the whole batch. now I remove the labels with oxyclean and not on bottling day. I let the bottles soak in a bucket for about a half hour and the labels almost always just fall off.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Try Guinness Draught bottles - the curvy ones with black labels. The plastic labels have no glue - just run a razor blade down the side and they practically fall off. A pair of pliers makes short work of removing the widget, and you have a nice looking bottle for re-use.

I'm a fan of the Guinness bottles, I don't buy them very often but a friend of mine supplies me with about a case per month.

I always remove labels because I soak all the bottles that I acquire from friends/neighbors yo clean them and the labels usually start falling off from that. I have a big cooler that I can soak about a case and a half at a time in. Leave 'em overnight, give a quick scrub with a green scrubby and the labels are gone

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
bbriscoe
Recipes 

So I can just leave the labels on, put the bottles in the dishwasher, and I will be fine - and no glue will get in my bottles?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriscoe
So I can just leave the labels on, put the bottles in the dishwasher, and I will be fine - and no glue will get in my bottles?
Clogging your diswasher with paper doesn't seem like a swell idea.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I remove the labels and glue completely now. At first I really didnt care and had parts of lablels and glue all over the place.

I only have one friend that homebrews and aside from him a lot of people are skeptical of HB, so when I share one I want the first impression and presentation to be good.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:25 AM   #19
skou
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The problem I've got, is getting off the labels from Redstone Meadery bottles. Those things are persistant!! I've soaked the bottles in EVERYTHING I could think of, (don't forget, I work in the LHBS) and still have labels.

No, I'm not going to get rid of these beautiful 1L swing tops, just want the labels off. (These are the old-style EZ-Cap cobalt blue footed bottles, and I've got 21 of them.) Yes, I do use them to bottle Mead.

steve

Old 09-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #20
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBDrinker008
... when I share one I want the first impression and presentation to be good.
That's the main issue. If you don't remove labels it just looks sloppy. I guess that's ok if it's beer you're keeping for personal consumption, but if others are drinking it too, it makes a poor first impression if you have crappy old labels on the bottle.