Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Possible lambic yeast?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
MobyMD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Possible lambic yeast?

I just brewed an APA with WLP001 and used a blowoff tube. The blowoff tube was in a jug of water that was left open to the air. There is a good amount of yeast that made it into this vessel. Could I collect that yeast and use it for at least the primary fermentation in a Lambic? It has been open to the air for about 2 weeks. Has anyone ever done this before?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I haven't done it. There is such a variety of microorganisms, and most are not great for making beer. I would be afraid of ruining whatever I pitched it into. chances are over 99% is good yeast, but there are some beer spoilers that don't have to exist in very high concentrations to really mess up a beer.

I would harvest the yeast from the fermentor. The viability will be a function of the ABV level.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...-on-yeast.html

The cell density is dependent on the strain and the amount of protein. With most beers and WLP001 you'll probably have about 1 billion cells per milliliter liter.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. Well I collected and washed the yeast. Got about 100mL of nice white fluffy yeast. The next beer I make I will split and put this in one of them and see what happens.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Inhiding
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would be worried about Acetobacter more than anything. Are you looking to make a lambic style? or just harvest yeast from your fermentation?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I want to actually try a Lambic. It would be my first lambic so I don't really know what I am doing yet. I have been looking into it for the last few weeks. I usually just throw this blowoff water and yeast away but if I could use it that would be awesome. Your thought about A-bactor is concerning. I dont want to mess with that.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Inhiding
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you want a Lambic then pitch something that is cultured for it. ie: WLP Sour Mix or the Wyeast Roselare blend or some ECY. Why mess with the unkown? You are going to have a lot of time invested in the beer, so why leave it up to chance?
ffaoe Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
soonami
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

For god's sake, drop $3.50 and buy a sachet of US-05! It's not worth the time and money on making a batch of wort just to pitch some random yeast in there
DeTech Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhiding View Post
if you want a lambic then pitch something that is cultured for it. Ie: Wlp sour mix or the wyeast roselare blend or some ecy. Why mess with the unkown? You are going to have a lot of time invested in the beer, so why leave it up to chance?
+1

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I think you guys are right. That is definitely the safer bet. I would hate to end up losing a batch to something that could have been easily prevented.