Pils fermentation schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoctodd

Reaction score
Hiya,

On 1/27/13 I brewed my first 10.5 gallon batch of German pils, mashing at 148 for 75 mins and OG was 1.049. I built up to a 5L starter from a single smack pack of Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils, so my pitch rate was around 780 billion cells as recommended by MrMalty and yeastcalc. Beersmith projects a FG of 1.011.

It has been fermenting at 52. Today I took a reading and it's at 1.012 already. I normally let my beers sit an extra week at ferm temp after hitting FG, just to clean up acetyl aldehyde and let yeast settle out before cold crashing.

What I thought I would do is start now ramping my temp 2F per day up to 65 F, just to help it attenuate out maybe to 1.009 or so, and thinking that will both prevent any yeast heat stress as well as serve in place of a traditional diacetyl rest, before cold crashing, and lagering in the keg. I've heard this can work for that.

Anyone with any guidance on this based on your own results? Last time I brewed a lager was almost 2 years ago and I just sprinkled SafLager 23 on top of a 5-gallon batch and my temp control was half-assed at that point.

Thanks!

Back