Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Looking to make a coffee stout-

Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
RIC0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

keep in mind if it's not strong enough it's still drinkable, if it's too much you'll be cussing every time you drink one.

2oz of good ground coffee seeped like I noted before was plenty. I did this with an extract kit and 2.5 gal boil added after it came off the heat.

I drink my coffee black and stong so having a strong coffee beer is good in my mind and the way I did it offered a good subtle taste that others enjoyed as well.

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
dano1086
Recipes 

Good afternoon brewers.

I stumbled upon this thread and being that I just finished a keg of my delicious Coffee and Cream Stout I couldn't resist. Start with a good sweet stout recipe (I Dont have my grain bill memorized and will update later on). However for the coffee aspect, I brewed 96oz of coffee via a French press and I used fresh ground Kona Coffee. I added the brewed coffee to my boil with 20 minutes remaining. The end result was a slightly more mild flavor of Founders Breakfast stout. IMHO, adding brewed coffee gives a more rich flavor and less yo the nose than aging on whole beans. Just my 2 cents

Upcoming: Heartbreak Rx doppelbock (fresh hops), Nugget/Citra IIPA

Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1086 View Post
Good afternoon brewers.

I stumbled upon this thread and being that I just finished a keg of my delicious Coffee and Cream Stout I couldn't resist. Start with a good sweet stout recipe (I Dont have my grain bill memorized and will update later on). However for the coffee aspect, I brewed 96oz of coffee via a French press and I used fresh ground Kona Coffee. I added the brewed coffee to my boil with 20 minutes remaining. The end result was a slightly more mild flavor of Founders Breakfast stout. IMHO, adding brewed coffee gives a more rich flavor and less yo the nose than aging on whole beans. Just my 2 cents
That's not useful without knowing how much coffee beans you used. And I can't see any reason to brew coffee separately versus steeping the beans directly in the brewpot.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Dano's info is not not useful. (double negatives are fun)

He states to make 96 fluid ounces of coffee. So his ratio is is 96:640 coffee to wort (assuming 5 gallon batch). This, of course reduces down to the beer being of 15% coffee and 85% wort. What is left to the imagination is what kind of coffee to use and how strongly to brew it.

What I -personally- don't like about this method are the calculations you now must do to correct for dilution, 15% less sugar density and theoretical hop utilization changes. Rather than mind-eff yourself on that math, I do concur that it is easier to simply steep the beans in hot wort and remove them as it changes nothing in math. (My same OPINION applies to adding cold-steeped coffee to secondary. It does indeed work, but it changes the final product by diluting alcohol and residual sugars, so it in theory also changes the body of the beer that you usually work rather hard to create in your mash-tun.)

That said, either way produces a coffee stout