Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carboy Failure

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Lucky7s
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Carboy Failure

Ordered a 6 gal glass craboy from NB which arrived 1/17. Ordered specifically to secondary 5.75 gal of Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz as I only have ever used 5 gal carboys in the past 5 years. I did a quick inspection upon arrival and placed back in box. Thursday evening after rinsing and sanitizing I racked into secondary along with 10 oz. regular powdered peanut butter and 6.5 oz. chocolate powdered peanut butter and moved to the guest room closet. Last night I ran in and added the cocoa nibs. This morning as I was getting ready for church I noticed a nice brown ring under the carboy. I gently moved the carboy to a nearby bathtub and the only thing I could figure out was there was a hairline crack in the base. I figured i'd rack into a 6 gal Better Bottle I had just purchased from NB on their BOGO sale. As i gently lifted the glass carboy to get it to counter height to siphon there was a small 'pop' and a big flood! I'm left holding the bottom in one hand and the majority of the carboy in the other. Luckily, no blood...but stout, gooey PB and nibs everywhere...even onto the bedroom carpet. 6 hours of cleaning and a not-so-much-amused wife later I'm still PO'd about losing my beer. BTW...NB is sending me a replacement carboy.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dude that sucks.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Oh the horror!!

I can't imagine a more catastrophic end for a peanut butter stout. At least you didn't get hurt.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
WackyBrew
Recipes 

Crazy as it sounds: I love glass carboys have used for years but switching to better bottle carboys. heard stories of one losing hand of exploded carboy, another while rinsing and sanitizing just blasted. Safer than Sorry man.