Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What makes a homebrewer advanced?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,417
Liked 485 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
An advanced home brewer is somebody who can double decoction mash an authentic really good pilsner...Any jerk-o can make a pale or ipa.
A truly advanced brewer has brewed enough to recognize the myth of decotion....


__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
OldWorld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 394
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Denny...most of the old world Pilsners still do a deoction. Is it because europeans are stubborn luddites? No...it is because they care about making the beer taste right.

You can go ahead and use highly efficient 2 row to make a pilsner style. But less modified grains mashed with more time and love always seem to produce a crisper, cereal like finish that can't be done if you rush it.


OldWorld is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,954
Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Advanced is the guy who's beer is better than yours.

That is, never attainable for yourself, but something that drives you toward perfection but you never quite achieve. And if you consider yourself to have achieved that, we have a different word for that...EAC.
I like this definition. Gotta keep striving to get better.
ktblunden is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,417
Liked 485 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
Denny...most of the old world Pilsners still do a deoction. Is it because europeans are stubborn luddites? No...it is because they care about making the beer taste right.

You can go ahead and use highly efficient 2 row to make a pilsner style. But less modified grains mashed with more time and love always seem to produce a crisper, cereal like finish that can't be done if you rush it.
It's nearly impossible to find undermodified malt. In addition, tests I've done show that most people can't identify or don't have a preference for decocted beers. I use Best pils malt with a single infusion to make great pilsners. If anyone wants to do a decoction, be my guest. But I don't feel you shuld necessarily expect a superior beer.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PhelanKA7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 997
Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default

An advanced homebrewer is someone drawing social security and older than me.
PhelanKA7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,868
Liked 6199 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
An advanced home brewer is somebody who can double decoction mash an authentic really good pilsner...Any jerk-o can make a pale or ipa.
Well, anybody that can follow instructions can do a double decoction. It's simple calculations. And anybody who can brew an ale can brew a lager. Making a great IPA isn't any easier, or harder, than a great German or Bohemian pilsner.

I think "advanced brewing" is something I'll never do and I'll never consider myself "advanced".

I'm always trying to learn or improve something, from newer malt varieties to hops growing, to water chemistry.

I mean, you can always make a BoPils with RO water (with a triple decoction if you want), and then make the same beer with a bit of calcium chloride added to it, and have a different beer. And then trying to decide which is more authentic, or which is preferable can be a bit of a learning experience in itself.

I learn something new all the time, so at this rate I'll never be "advanced"!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
5B-brewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
5B-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lebanon, Oregon
Posts: 94
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

TyTanium- I like that definition. And I now know what EAC stands for! Does that make me one of the cool kids?
__________________
On tap: All taps blown.....
In Primary: SMaSH blonde, porter, Wit, American pale ale, and spiced cider

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone
5B-brewing is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PhelanKA7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 997
Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Well, anybody that can follow instructions can do a double decoction. It's simple calculations. And anybody who can brew an ale can brew a lager. Making a great IPA isn't any easier, or harder, than a great German or Bohemian pilsner.

I think "advanced brewing" is something I'll never do and I'll never consider myself "advanced".

I'm always trying to learn or improve something, from newer malt varieties to hops growing, to water chemistry.

I mean, you can always make a BoPils with RO water (with a triple decoction if you want), and then make the same beer with a bit of calcium chloride added to it, and have a different beer. And then trying to decide which is more authentic, or which is preferable can be a bit of a learning experience in itself.

I learn something new all the time, so at this rate I'll never be "advanced"!
"Advancing" not "advanced", right?
__________________
http://beerismypassion.com
PhelanKA7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,868
Liked 6199 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Default

You know what's funny? I consider Denny an expert, and I know others do too. I have watched podcasts with Denny and other brewing gurus, and respect and listen to what they say. I don't always agree with Denny (and we've "argued" over several issues including decoctions and FWH!) but I totally respect the science behind what he says. I also like the contributions people like Denny have given to us- working with the AHA, making batch sparging quick and easy for brewers, sharing experiences.

I think that's what is great about homebrewers- pretty open and we can learn a lot from each other.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
gpack Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,417
Liked 485 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Default

Awwwww, you're too kind!


__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a little more advanced robbdmc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 63 01-10-2013 01:55 PM
For Sale - Advanced Set Up PirateBrewer For Sale 3 12-31-2010 07:10 PM
Gift ideas - from homebrewer to a homebrewer kunstler General Beer Discussion 13 11-11-2009 10:18 PM
What makes a happy homebrewer JoSeR Equipment/Sanitation 1 12-31-2008 04:05 PM
Local Homebrewer Makes Good (Did you say AB?) BierMuncher General Beer Discussion 13 04-14-2007 02:21 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS